Kubota ZTR's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by muddstopper, Dec 2, 2005.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Looking for opinions on these mowers. I have been considering buying a mower as an add on service to my seeding business and I didnt even know that Kubota made a ZTR until last nite when a friend of mine said I should check one out. Its a little ways to the nearest dealer so I thought I would ask opinions before makeing the drive. Anybody that owns one please tell me what you think of it and how it compares to other machines you have owned or tried. I have never liked the kubota tractors and I dont want to let my current opinions of Kubota to get in the way of a smart machine purchase.
    Thanks,

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I bought one of the ZD 21 when they were 1st introduced about 4 yrs ago and kept it 3 months before dumping it for a substantial loss. I thought it was the biggest POS on the market at any price. Since that timee I have heard they redesigned the decks as that was the problem, it was so shallow that there was no suction. The diesel would bog down on most lawns. It had a 60" deck and my "hopper with a 61" deck & 25 bota gas OR my steiner woth a 72" deck and 28 bota diesel would both triple the production on the ZD 21. I've heard they redesigned the decks but after spending 10 k the first time I won't take a second chance with them. IMO there are to many other good and proven mowers at that price.

3. muddstopper

Thanks for the honest reply. I have never been impressed with their tractors and other equipment, even tho the engines seem to run forever. Just not heavy duty enough for serious work. For this reason I have never seriously considered any of their other equipment. Times change tho, somebody give me a reason to drive the miles to check one out.

4. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Check to make sure they don't have what most companys use for homeowner model hydro pumps. I heard they are having problems with them. They should have seperate pump and wheel motors. More durable.Go demo a hustler Mini Z or super mini Z. Leave'em in the dust. Demo alot of brands if you can.

5. KUBOTADAN

KUBOTADAN LawnSite Member

I have a zd -18 7 a zd -21 kubota . They have be very reliable machines.
    I dislike the decks. You don't get the best cut if you raise the deck
    above 2". Leaves corn rows. I am going to buy the Husler with the
    34 hp Cat diesel. Understand much better deck. I'll keep the one Zd 21
    until i get ready to trade again.

6. palm boy

palm boy LawnSite Member

just not heavy duty enough for serious work? never impressed? Just what kind of SERIOUS WORK do you do? Down here where equipment is put to serious work year round all you see is Kubota. At least nine out ten trailers you see hauling a tractor are Orange w/ Kubota emblem. We are talking about landscapers, demolition, new lawn graders, nursery/tree farms etc.etc.... As far as the ztr's go I am seeing more and more of them and I have only heard great things. Did hear that Exmark was coming out with a Kubota on their ztr. If this is true you might want to check that out.

7. muddstopper

Palmboy, in Florida and your flat ground the kubota tractors might do well. Probably get by with most any brand, but I dont live on flat sandy soil. On steep ground the 4x4 3910 kubota w/5ftbushog cant mow what I currently mow with a 2wd 4610su ford and 6 ft bushhog. The tractors are to light in the front end and to top heavy. The newer industrial series seem to be a little better, but dollar for dollar and size to size, the kubotas still cant compete with the New Hollands, Massey's ,Agco's and JDeeres that are popular around here. Still, you see a lot of the homeowners buying the 3710 kubotas, but they dont use them everyday like I would. I know of kubota engines that have went 6000 hrs so I dont question the long liveity of that part of the machines. If i was in the market for a new tractor it would probably be the Agco or Duetz Farh, both of these tractors have 4 wh brakes instead of just two. Still the question doesnt have anything to do with what you and I think about brands of tractors. Its the ZTR's I am interested in.