kubota

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by nop, Feb 2, 2007.

1. nop

nop LawnSite Member
    from IL

I'm taking over a grave digging business and looking for input on a Kubota B21 TLB, any helpful comments about this paticular tractor will be appreciated.

2. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

does the bussiness have one already or are you looking for options? i have heard nothing but good about them for their size.
    good luck,

3. Boondox

Boondox LawnSite Member

It's an excellent rig. You can find some reviews and owners over on TractorByNet.com.

Pete

4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I'd step up to atleast a L39. B21 is tiny!

5. nop

nop LawnSite Member
    from IL

Appreciate your replies,all good comments , thank you.

tnmtn: the fella now is renting a teramite to dig the holes,has landscaping business he wants to concentrate on.

Boondox:thanks for the website.

mrusk:I actually looked at the L39 first but couldnt justify the price.I know its a really nice hoe.I was looking at buying new originally,L39, $33,000.,B21,$26000. Found used B21,2003 w/840 hrs. Phone negotiation got him from $17500 to $15690.Will see it first hand Mon. morning.Only seen by web pictures now.It is in their rental fleet.They did all service. The other issue is trying to put this all together by Mar. 1. I run an ope dealership also and time becomes a factor for the funeral home owner needs an operator by Mar. 1.There is another operator in town but I made first contact with him and also he has bought from my dealership.

6. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I'm on my 3rd Kubota tractor. The GST doesn't work for me, it really cuts down on productivity. HST is the only thing that makes any sense to me at all....I can use my foot to control forward/reverse movement and hands to control bucket and rear hydraulics. I can and do walk circles around a GST. I don't know what your numbers are and how it pencils for you, but I would research a new machine....the financing packages they are offering are attractive.

7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Agree 100%.
    HST is the only way too go.
    Kubota has great financing and the added reliability of a new Tractor would well out weigh such a small price difference.

Kubota has a 1500 dollar rebate on B and L series with standard Financing and 750 with there good rates.

There are dealers that are much more competitive on the Kubota's than others.
    One dealer in Georgia beat all dealers price by over 2000 dollars on my Tractor.

8. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i have only dug one grave so take this for what its worth. i found using a backhoe was easy for the digging. graveyards can get tight to move around in. you will have spoil after the backfill. is the graveyard going to have you move it. it might get touchy if you were digging a grave and had to set the spoil on a close relatives grave. in some cases i could see having to move the dirt away from the grave getting dug prior to any services. i would suggest digging a few with a few diffrent rental machines at first. this will give you a better idead of what would be best. bucket size also makes a big diffrence. don't know what size a b21 can handle. with limited reach you would have to plan how to position well before digging.
    good luck

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Will a B21 dig 6' deep?

If I ran a grave digging business I'd pick up a kawasaki Mule type dump (or something similar) and a very small mini-excavator.

The 360 spin of the mini-excavator means you could place the spoil in the mini dump even if you couldn't get it too close.

10. accurate machinery

accurate machinery LawnSite Member

I have had over 40 Kubota B21's in my wholesale business, I like the fact that there is a big following and the Kubota name helps the value. I have never sold one to a grave digger and I would expect it to be too small for the operation. I say that because of the fact that in my own use the B21 is easily overwhelmed with small digging jobs. The machine will do what it is designed to do, it is just too light for bigger jobs. I have found the hydraulics are stronger than the weight of the machine, I will pull the bucket in and instead of filling the bucket and digging the ditch or pulling the stump it will just pull the whole tractor towards the bucket. As much as I like the machine, (I will keep buying and selling them, they are very popular), I can't hesitate to mention the weaknesses. I have found the following problems common to the B21:
    The seat and seat swing mechanism is light weight, always missing parts, frozen or sloppy. Not a major repair but almost always in disrepair. The seat itself has a knock on style of cover retainer that is always falling off so the cover comes off.
    The transmission high, medium and low range shifter is a poor design that most people don't have the patience for so they end up bending the shifting forks. This then requires a split of the tractor to repair if it pops out of gear. Yes it is adjustable to a point but after that the tractor needs to be split and it is very expensive.
    The top orange canopy cover is thin metal that is not replaceable without buying the complete ROPS canopy. You can straighten the top a few times but after that or after a severe damage it requires a new complete ROPS.
    The bolts fall out of the steering box, they have to be watched and torqued.
    The front steering spindles are prone to leaking, same as the L35.
    If you get a used B21 make sure to ask for the 3 point hitch arms, they are a fortune from Kubota. The arms and top link are supposed to be stowed in the saddles on the loader subframe but they are frequently missing. The L35 has no storage point so they are almost always missing.
    The transmission dipsticks are frequently broken off.
    The front drive shaft cover gets knocked off.
    The backhoe bucket, king swing post, lift cylinder and boom pins are frequently loose at less than 1500 hours, not necessarily the machines fault. However they are small pins and bushings so they don't have the grease surface area of a larger pin, even the L35 has larger pins that last a lot longer before they need replaced.
    The floor mat never seems to fit and the plastic plugs that hold it in place just pull through the rubber mat. I think it has something to do with the people that strap the machine down across the floor so the floor gets pulled down on the sides, stretching the floor mat beyond its designed width.
    If the loader bucket has been used without a bolt on cutting edge it will have uneven wear and possibly be bowed, use a bolt on cutting edge!
    To the machines credit: the engines are great, I have overhauled one, probably because of either abuse. The hydrostatics have been great, the brakes and differentials have been bulletproof. I have never had a welded loader arm or Backhoe boom, I have had a couple welded and plated dipper sticks. The back tires last forever. The front tires will last 600 to 700 hours if you don't use the loader bucket.
    Hope this is helpful, I post a lot of my machine inspecting details on my website. www.accuratemachinery.com