Kudzu killer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by muddstopper, Aug 23, 2003.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Anybody here ever been asked to get rid of kudzu. A friend of mine has it growing everywhere and it is climbing and killing all of his trees and he was wanting to know what to use to spray it with. This is a large area and I'm not really sure of the best way to deal with this. any suggestions would be appreciated. I have and old 200gal lesco spray tank I could rig up for a weed sprayer but there is a creek right below the kudzu and I dont see anyway to keep the spray out of the water. The area is also too steep to run any equipment on.
    I have already suggested fenceing and getting goats but he didnt like that ideal.

2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How can I get rid of kudzu?
    Suggestion A: Kudzu does not tolerate grazing very well. If you have not noticed, kudzu is not found in grazed pastures, but it is found in the relatively opened, ungrazed areas around humanity. A number of herbicides, will kill kudzu but it may take a few years.

Suggestion B: If you want to use land for pasture, just let them eat Kudzu. Twenty acres of kudzu will nicely feed 10-20 cows. Kudzu only becomes a problem when it is not grazed. Overgrazing will kill kudzu. Kudzu is high protein legume. It fixes nitrogen and actually improves soil. Sounds like goats is the cheapest idea to me.

3. muddstopper

I have actually used farm animals years ago to eat up kudzu and boy did they like the stuff, but he is trying to clean up this property since it is at the entrance to some property that he is developeing for resale. These are lake lots starting at $80,000 each, hence no goats. Now the question is how to kill it with out killing the trees, there is nothing else growing under the kudzu, and without filling the creek full of the weed killer. Any weed killer out there that will kill it and still be safe to use around the stream?

4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Forget the vanity of worrying about the looks of goats around $80,000 lots. He either can use goats or put weed killer in the stream and sounds like it would wind up in a lake which would not be safe for people and fish. I am not sure weed killer will work enough in 1 or 2 years to effectively kill it out completely.

5. muddstopper

I think you are pretty much right. This wasnt a job I wanted to do anyways. Cold weather will kill it out in a couple of more months, might be easier to control with smaller amounts of a pre-m before it takes off in the spring along with a weed eater. Kind of hard to stay ahead of something that grows 2 feet overnite.

6. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried Turflon on Kudzu? In Virginia, the state used to go after Kudzu with Turflon, and in general products with Triclopyr are effective agasinst difficult to control vine type vegitation. As far as the creek is concerned, you will have to refer to the label for restrictions on Turflon, or you could try Rodeo, a glyphosate product labeled for use around aquatic areas, but I don't know how effective it will be. Good luck-:)

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Muddstopper,

Here is an interesting article on this topic.

"Fighting those pesky weeds."

"The two weeks closest to bloom are the best time to kill kudzu with Roundup."

8. muddstopper

Thanks people for the info. I dont think I am going to fool with this job but it might help later on a different job. I just aint to comfortable with using poisons around water. I do have a liciense and would like to keep them.

9. gramps

gramps LawnSite Member

For the last time gAS

10. gramps

gramps LawnSite Member

For the last time gAS