KX 161-3 bucket size

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by rvon99, Feb 8, 2013.

1. rvon99

rvon99 LawnSite Member

I was wanting some input on how big of a digging bucket a 161 will handle in hard clay soil. The bigest I have is a 2 foot, but would like a 30" or a 36"

2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

All my trenches are 30 or 36 inches wide. I dig 20,0000 + feet of trenches a year 3 to 6 ft deep. Both do fine except when the clay is really hard. When I say hard I mean the type that is so hard the 24 inch bucket struggles as well.

3. Danny Boy

Danny Boy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 30 inch smooth edge for my machine and it pulls well in hard clay (when needed) so a 36 with sharp teeth should be decent..

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I have a 12 and a 24. The 24 is getting tired. Id like to go to a 30 for general use. In heavy soil I think 36 would get too tippy

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I muck out of lakes with my 36 and it is really not that bad. I use the 36 for moving material because it holds the most. It is not tippy at all with dry dirt.
    The 24 never gets used because it is just too small. The 36 is always my first choice unless the ground is hard. I dig mostly with the 30 since that is what my trenches need too be, but I use the 36 for backfilling and digging my tank holes.