kx - 91 kubota vs gehl 353

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by zedosix, Jul 6, 2007.

1. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Just demoed the 353 gehl and a kx 91 kubota excavator on my current job site. Can I hear some feedback on either machine. I don't want to hear about how great the cats are or the tach's just feedback on either of these two please.

Please and thank you.
  2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

The Kubota's seem too always be the cream of the crop.
    I have never used a Gehl.Sorry
    But Kubota's are top shelf pieces.

Have you demoed either?
  3. zedosix

I have demoed the two of them, I think the gehl is stronger, as far as breakout, and a bit more reach. Both are priced in the mid 40's. I am leaning towards the kubota.

gehl vs kubota 005 (Medium) (2).jpg

gehl vs kubota 001 (Medium) (2).jpg
  4. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

KUBOTA! There are some good mini's out there but none compare to Kubota IMO. I used to work for a rental company and we had NO problems with our kubota 121-3's and 161-3's. We even had a few 121-2's still running like a champ despite their ugliness. The only severe thing I saw was a customer who didn't know how to operate a machine to save his life and snapped our hyd. rod in half for the thumb. Other than that our machines ran great. They took quite an abuse from customers. I can't say more good things about Kubota.

5. DirtyRat

DirtyRat LawnSite Member

Kubota is very popular in our area, Never see a Gehl. I would say in my area I would go Kubota if not for reputation and performance i would for resale value. Personaly I would by another brand, I perfer a zero tail swing machine for my use, but between the two...Kubota hands down.
  6. zedosix

I have a kx 41-3 now with 500 hours, in fact the day I snapped these pictures one of the tracks slipped off. Not bad for the abuse its been through. I thought I would try the gehl since I already own a gehl 5640e turbo and can't say enough good about it. The 91 pictured here has the quick attach bucket which I havent used yet but sounds like a good idea.

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

No experience with the Gehl but have used the Kubota as a rental and felt that it didn't have the breakout force or the lift might had been since it was rental and been abused.

Good to hear you like your 5640 skid I have the same machine, my only regret is I wish I had the quick tach.
  8. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Just rented a Kubota 91 last week and it pulled a 24" bucket reasonably well. It only had about 200 hours but being in a rental fleet had not been kind to it:

the travel levers were touchy and not aligned with each other, so when trying to go slow (like loading / unloading from trailer) it had a tendency to lurch to one side.

Also, I smelled burning oil when it was running. Probably not a good sign but I would doubt this is typical of Kubotas in general. All three of my Bobcats have had Kubota diesels and have held up well.

All in all the Kubota is probably a good bet. I have no experience with any Gehl products.

I noticed that a Takeuchi I used felt stronger than a Bobcat 331 or the Kubota, but I think they traded flow for pressure in the design; the Takeuchi felt strong but was s - l - o- w compared to the Kubota or Bobcat.
  9. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I agree.
    The Komatsu are very fast yet lack the digging force.
    It all depends on what your needs are.
    If you are looking for heavy digging then the Tackeuchi are the best.
    Looking for light digging yet need speed then there are better choices.
  10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If you want zero tail swing, Look at the Kobuta U series.