1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

L.T. Rich Z-Plug

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by TennisBum, Aug 26, 2009.

1. TennisBum

TennisBum LawnSite Member

I'm considering buying one of these aerators. I was wondering if anybody here can provide feedback. They look very solid and I like the way they can articulate left and right to follow the contour of the ground. They also accept quite a few attachments. Any comments would be appreciated.
  2. group501

group501 LawnSite Member

A few years back I spoke to a local guy that owned one. He liked the machine but said that there were two problems: The first was that it was not good on hills, the second problem was that it took such deep plugs that it would often hit buried sprinkler lines. I am not exactly sure but I think these units are around 10k. You might want to also look at the Lawn solutions stand on unit. We have a walk behind LS aerator and can only say positive things about it.
  3. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

i think the price is about 7k
    one of the major drawbacks on the zplug
    is the tine spacing -- not enough plugs
    you pretty much gotta 2x aerate everywhere

how is the tine spacing on the lawn solutions ride-on unit?
  4. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Love mine. I was pleasantly surprised where I could take it. I disagree with the post about hills. What it can't do is go sideways on a hill. It goes up and down very nicely though. The tine spacing is the same as our walk behind, which blessedly we don't have to use much anymore.
  5. TennisBum

TennisBum LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. The tine spacing was also my big concern. They say its 5" X 8". The LS ride-on is 3.5 by something. I think it's pretty tight. However, the z-plug accepts many accessories: Sprayer, Slit-seeder, Spreader etc.