1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

L120 John Deere runs then dies

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by jpz1598, Nov 14, 2007.

1. jpz1598

jpz1598 LawnSite Member

I have a john deere L120 tractor with a Briggs and Stratton 20 hp vtek twin engine. The problem i'm having is it runs good mowing for about 15 minutes till it gets hot and then it starts to sputtor and finally dies. Its helps for about a minute before it dies if i put the choke on full. I wait for a few minutes and try to start it again it will start and only run for a minute on full choke then die out again. As soon as i try to move it off full choke it dies right away. It runs great the after it completely cools off and then 10 minutes later when it heats back up it does the same thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I put new gas and a new fuel filter on it. It has a fairly new air filter in it also.
  2. casco73

casco73 LawnSite Member

It sounds like a carb / jetting problem
  3. jpz1598

jpz1598 LawnSite Member

That what i'm thinking more and more, yesterday I couldn't even get it to stay running even when it was cold. Is there any easy way to clean the carb besides taking it all apart? Just wondering.
  4. 04superduty

04superduty LawnSite Member

pinched fuel line or possibly air in the lines?
  5. casco73

casco73 LawnSite Member

Carb and choke cleaner or gas additive spend like five bucks see what happens. How many hours does the machine have? After an x amount of hours these sevices need to be done like jetting cleaning and such. Also take the air cleaner off and see if you can see the the choke valve I believe its called the butterfly but while its open check to see if there is any black biuld up any where inside if so you need to clean the trottle body it needs to be completly clean to run properly
  6. NJDeere

NJDeere LawnSite Member

Loosen the fuel cap, the vent may be plugged, causing a vacumm in the fuel tank. If so, clean it or get a new cap.
  7. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

Take the throttle body off, Take the carb off, Take the bowl off, Then spray the thing with carb cleaner in every little hole. now hit it with compressed air. Put the carb back together and back on the engine. It is simple. don't be chicken. the jets are clogged with dust and the air will dislodge the particles and open the jets.
  8. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Or, it may be a bad coil ?