1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Labor Costs for 4 yds. one inch rock

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rockandroller, Aug 12, 2004.

1. rockandroller

rockandroller LawnSite Member

I'm a small timer so I hope I'm in the right forum. We'll see! I need to fill an area of about 100 sq. ft with customers choice of 1 inch rock. I was guesstimating about 4 yds?? That about right? What would ya'llcharge in labor alone for this. Accessis a bit..! :( I was figuring about $50/yd but my intuition is it may be low.
    R&Rer :cool:
  2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Depends on what kind of rock first off. 4 yards is about right but thats only going like an inch or two deep. If access is a ***** the price could scoot anywhere.
  3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

According to my guestimate it is gonna take you appx. 1.23 tons to cover to a depth of 3". Does not sound like a lot but it will take you a little while by hand. Without use of a tractor I would charge appx. $150.00 if I did not have to move it an excessive distance.
  4. rockandroller

rockandroller LawnSite Member

Thanks jwing,

The rock is up to him. It's my next door neighbor/friend so I'm not going to upcharge to much for materials. My guess is he's going to go for the cheap stuff. I'm mainly concerned with straight labor for hauling and unloading it in his yard. No breaks for the tough work!
  5. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

I've attached an excel spreadsheet I use for estimating stone.

You'll need to adjust the density to the type of stone you have. For example, Washed #6 is about 3000lbs./cu. yd. Plug your number in and see what you get.

I think you're estimate of 4 yds. is too high though.
  6. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

Forgot my estimator.

Attached Files: