1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Labor costs vs Gross sales?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by baruch05167, Mar 19, 2007.

1. baruch05167

baruch05167 LawnSite Member

Does anyone else know what their labor costs are compared to their total sales?

I usually run 50%. In other words. If I made $100,000 in sales this year, the labor costs would be $50,000. That includes me when I work on the job. I pay myself an hourly rate for doing the same work an employee on the job would do.

I'm thinking that my labor percentage is too high. Any thoughts?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

It is. Our's were 25.37% for 2006
  3. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

Good question. mine was about 30% last year(not including my labor), but I worked my a++ off. this year I think about 50%. Exmark used to show a pie chart in there brochures showing you how much you spend on Labor, fuel, equipment. basicly they where trying to convince you to buy the biggest mowers possable and spend less on labor.
  4. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I think it depends on what you do. Is it just maintenance, just landscape or both. Adding materials to the mix is going to affect percentages to some extent. That being said - we have maintenance and construction crews - the blended labor percentage is 45%. My goal is to reduce this to 40% this year through harping on productivity (kind of like an earlier thread this month was discussing)
  5. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Should be about 25% for landscaping, and 33% for maintenance.
  6. baruch05167

baruch05167 LawnSite Member

For maintenance it was 50%. My landscaping, which last year was small, was of course much better.

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

31.8% for 2006............ 80% Maintenance 20% snow
  8. sunriseturf

sunriseturf LawnSite Member

Mine runs about a third unless you add in the matching taxes which bumps it up to 42-45%. Depending on how much your payroll is. Yo only pay a certain percentage on unemployment up to 8000 dollars for each employee. That is also a variable rate so it can differ from year to year.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

and yes, that does include matching taxes as well.
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

And Rod, you remain my personal hero. Now if I could only gross what you pay for labor I would be doing ok. :)