Labor Estimate

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by YKClipper, Sep 13, 2007.

1. YKClipper

YKClipper LawnSite Member

I’m bidding a retaining wall job, and I’m looking for some help determining the hours, or days, for a 3 man crew to install it. Any insight is appreciated. I can determine my costs for equipment and labor, but the actual time to install the wall is where I often screw up. I realize it differs for every crew, but if you were looking at a job like this, for your crew, what would you consider a reasonable time estimate.

It’s 81 foot long, 440 square foot, (including cap and buried block), 5-6 foot high, Anchor Diamond Beveled face block retaining wall. About half way along the wall, the face turns out about 30 degrees, so there will have to be some cutting. At that point, the height also rises one block. I’ve been assured a concrete pad will be installed along the bottom “to grade”, i.e. I should be able to lay the first course directly on the concrete. A minimum of one course of block will be in the ground. Geo grid, drain tile, ¾ inch crushed ledge backfill and a cap, glued in with construction adhesive complete the project. There will be no excavation on my part, and all the material will be placed close to the work area.

Thanks in advance for any input.
  2. Picture Perfect Pavers

Picture Perfect Pavers LawnSite Member

I don't agree putting it on concrete is the right thing to do and what if the concrete is not level? is that first course going to set in mortar, adhesive or dry. If the first course goes smooth and you are only building the wall who is backfilling and everything else? That would take my crew of 4 men 2 days max. with fill and everything else 3 days max. 2 guys laying 2 guys backfilling I would concentrate on half the wall at a time and alternate crews as the wall progressed.
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

doesn't that defeat the purpose of a segmented retaining wall...the concrete base that is?
  4. YKClipper

That's a good question. The General Contractor on the job tells me his background is in concrete, and he was going to install the, what did he call it?, the rat wall, or rat pad?? Anyway, he assured me it would be exactly to grade. I'd never heard of this method before. It's my understanding the first course would be set dry on the concrete wall. Is anyone familiar with installing a retaining wall on a concrete footing?

Thanks in advance. I don't post often, but I've picked up a lot of helpful info from many of you on the site. I'm finishing up my first big job, and will post pics very soon.
  5. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

will the pad also be dug down four feet? When not if you get a frost up there if it isn't deep enough it will heave and throw the wall over. I have seen it happen in Maine before.

If his pad works then it should be around or just under four days for a 3 man crew.
  6. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

If your building a srw on concrete base if i understood, you shouldn't be building this wall
  7. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

Not sure about other manufacturers, but Keystone approves/recommends an unreinforced concrete pad in several applications.
  8. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

How so? NCMA even has specs on how it should be constructed.

from NCMA:
    Leveling pad: The leveling pad is a level surface, consisting of crushed stone or unreinforced concrete, which distributes the weight of the SRW units over a wider area and provides a working surface during construction. The leveling pad typically extends at least 6 in. (152 mm) from the toe and heel of the lowermost SRW unit and is at least 6 in. (152 mm) thick.
  9. YKClipper

Would I interpret that to mean that because the concrete is unreinforced, it acts similar to and in addition to compacted base rock used to support the first course of buried block? As such, it can only benefit the stability of the wall, and ease installation of the first course. The key being that it is unreinforced. - Dave
  10. Bplandcurbing

Bplandcurbing LawnSite Member

I have never heard of a wall being placed on a concrete footing everything I have done has been set on a gravel pad 2 feet wide and at least 6" deep backfilling every course as we go along and filling the cores with drain rock along with 1 foot behind the wall with drain rock then packing all the fill. If the general contractor says he can poor a perfectly flat and level concrete footing I would like to see it to believe it.