Labor in the Winter

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by MikeK, Dec 18, 2003.

1. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

I would love to hear what you guys do with your Labor in the winter. We do not plow snow, nor do we care to. I would like to find a way that I can get some $$ to my employees in the winter so they will keep coming back year after year.
    Any Sugestions?

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

3. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

A fellow LCO in the area does pretty good each winter from eBay. He sells some sort of wooden lawn ornaments of some sort, not sure exactly what, but he survives off of his woodworking skills in the winter months.

We just plow snow...and take it easy.... :cool2:

4. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

i learned this from another forum...its called 'the 3% rule'. john allin posted this. he takes 3% from every project and/or job and cuts a check to a seperate account. he uses this for savings, retirement fund, purchase new equipment...what ever.

for me, i use it to keep key men on the books for the slow season. it isn't much, but it keeps the labor working and happy. it also keeps me happy knowing my key men will be back in the spring. 3% is a small enough amount that i do not miss it and it is big enough so that it will accumulate during the season.

i have tried many things to make $$$ during the down season, and truthfully nothing has ever made any real $$$ besides snow managment and ice control.

brian:waving: