Labor law poster rquuired?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawncuttinfoo, Feb 25, 2008.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

For those of you with employees, do you post a federal labor law poster in your garage? I received a threatening junk mail letter saying I am required by law to post this poster and that I can buy one from them. (nice way to treat your potential customers, lol)

I do not currently have any employees so I will not be needing this. But does ANYONE here post these?

2. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

They sent me 1 in the mail last year. I have not yey put it up, but you are suppose to. Last year i provided transportation for my 2 helpers. I did not want to post that thing in my truck.

3. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

You are required by law to post that information. That part is correct. The part the letter doesn't tell you is that you can get the posters free drom the Dept of Labor. Just contact your local state employment agency and they can provide you with what you need

Doug
    Austreim Landscapign

4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

5. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

awesome thanks for the link

6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I get cold calls all of the time from @@#hole companies for these signs.
    They want around $199/year to send you these free postings.
    One guy was really persistent, kept calling back after I said not too.
    So, the last time he called I used my boat's hand held airhorn and blasted it into the phone ear piece. I hear this scream then the handset clattering like he dropped it - I wonder why he hasn't called back?

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

So does anyone really post them? I would have to say if you have 1 or 2 employees and feel you have to post them because someone may complain, then you have bigger problems.

8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

It is required by Federal law !!

9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I do post these info panels. One in the shop, one in the bathroom, one in the office by the time card machine. Plus the crews/new hires gets an 8"X11" one they sign for at the start of each year or when the laws change.

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

sure it is, but for a small company with one or two employees who cares? I think I will post one in the truck, my one employee has a good imagination and is very good at drawing. I bet he can make a couple naked women by starting with what the sign says. It is the minimum wage thing we are talking about, right? Another waste of time and money brought to us by people that cant get a real job.