labor price on mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ChadsLawn, Jun 23, 2003.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

My girlfriend wants me to bid on just labor for spreading about 8yds of mulch...I have no money involved, just my time..I have to wheelbarrel it from the front of the daycare to the play area..

Chad

2. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

How long do you think it will take to do the job?
    Can you move two yards an hour or maybe three by yourself, or do you have a crew of 4-5 guys who could di it in about 30-45 minutes?
    I would say anywhere from $200 - $400 depending on what you think you can get away with.
    It would be easier of you were supplying and delivering the mulch, you could hide some of the profit/markup by calling it a delivery charge, but when the customer already has the material, it is usually because they figured it would be cheaper for them to buy it rather than having you get it and install it as one price ... by that thinking, I would charge as much as I could - kinda as a penalty for them trying to be so cheap.

3. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

mulch already there.. about $40 per yard... $320 depending on the walk...

4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

hour per yard

5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

In Oregon, we also have compost mulch, but much of mulching is with barkdust.

It can be blown on for about $220 per unit ( about 7.5 cubic yds.).

And it can be ordered dumped at $120 per unit.

My theory is that we can't exceed the price of blowing by much.

So a $120 pile will go on for about $100 to $150 worth of labor.

I used to put out 1 unit in a non-complicated relatively even front yard in about 2 to 3 hours by myself - shovel, move and spread even.

The reason I don't mind bumping the total cost a bit above blowing, is that blowing gets dust on a lot of stuff. That's a small selling point for the slight cost increase.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I try to get about 65 per yard installed but that includes the mulch also which is 25 a yard. So 40 per yard is the labor to install so i would do the job for around $320 to $350.

7. Harleyman

Harleyman LawnSite Member
    from NY

depends on what she wants to do for it:D

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Don't know about florida but the 200 dollar suggestion is not bad thats what I would get in Pa.