Labor Rate vs Machine Rate

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by OrangeToys, Feb 2, 2010.

1. OrangeToys

OrangeToys LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW MO

Im curious to know what your rates are....

1) manual labor
    2) machine work (mainly mowing)

Reason I ask is because I have seen a lot of people that are charging $50 per man hr to lay mulch but then what are you charging to work your equipment? with these numbers I am way to low on my pricing.

2. Five Points

Five Points LawnSite Member

Everybody wants to know what others charge but nobody ever wants to tell what they charge. So I'm going to put my price out there

I work with one helper and two summer students.I try to average 40 per man. Some is more and some is not. I do a lot of mowing and mulching, trimming and pruning. I also do fert apps and sod some new houses (they pay better).Some work is quoted, but a lot of the extras are just by the hour. It is what works for me.

I do a lot of manual labour off of my trailer, mulch top soil gravel, my wheelbarrows (dutch pickup truck has made me a lot of money.)

This is what I try average From the time I leave in the morning till I pull in at night.This includes all stops and breaks.

At the end of my 35 week season I average 70/hr 55hrs a week Includes all repair time and shop time, dump time, drive time, even all the stops at Tim Hortons and those are a lot.

3. OrangeToys

from SW MO

Thank you for the reply! Im trying to do the same thing you are with mowing, mulching and pruning. But I guess I'm just trying to move faster than I can for now.

When I'm mowing I try to make around $30/hr and $15/hr for manual labor (both might be going up this year depending on some of the answers I can get from people).

4. MLAWCARE

MLAWCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I try to get 30 an hour for everything I do but sometimes it depends on the customer because I know what I can get with them still coming back.

5. OrangeToys

from SW MO

where are you from in missouri? so i can compare the areas.

6. MLAWCARE

MLAWCARE LawnSite Senior Member

St. Louis county area. People sometimes think that is to high but what other people charge they are getting a good deal.

7. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, I try to get $15-$20 for just labor, then maybe add $15 for wear on the mower, $3 for trimmer $3 for blower,etc.

But I usually just use that to get a rough estimate, since I mostly work in my neighborhood, there is very little drive time if any at all.

8. Marvelous Gardens

Marvelous Gardens LawnSite Member

I charge $50 per hour for mowing (2 Men) and $35 for any non equipment labor (2 men). There are many threads on this issue already posted, everyone charges different. It all depends on your profit percentage goal and your overhead.

9. jhsmith4

jhsmith4 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

What an awesome GOD! I'm in tears, because I've been there! What a message!!!!!!

10. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

i try to average $1 a minute while mowing. my skidsteer about $75hr, other stuff depends on wht im doing!