Labor rate

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by T. Matthews, Jun 22, 2004.

1. T. Matthews

T. Matthews LawnSite Member

Hello I have a question.

Is it right or wrong to tell your customer how much you charge per hr per person. instead of just giving them an estimate with the total cost of the job.

2. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

why tell them? If you tell them you risk a few things......under charging them. If the job is a lot harder than you expected but you did it in a short time you can always charge more. Not if they know what your making. If they know that then thats all you make.

3. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Depends... if you wana play it safe and are not so good yet estimating stuff.. I would start off like this its better to be safe than sorry.. Now if you really wana make money though, Just give the price .. and Price it right :)

4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't yet had to have to deal with a customer asking my hourly rate, once or twice someone has wanted to hire me from the garden center I worked at and has asked what I work for by the hour but thats a different story. When I do a job I give them a price and thats it. Today did a prunning job, estimated it at $300 and I was right on the ball which was awesome.

Jeff