Labor Rates ?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by White Gardens, May 4, 2008.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

So I was curious what everyone is charging for labor. Around here I can get away with 35-45 an hour on residential accounts, and up to 65-70 on commercial accounts.

I push any farther than that and I start to out-bid jobs.

2. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

35 to 45 on commercial, residential 65 to 100

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

In most cases my per man labor rates are never disclosed although their are somewhat rare exceptions to this.

4. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

same, I never disclose what my labor rates are.

labor rates are going to change from one part of the country to another. In this state they can change from one part of the state to another.

Another thing to remember with asking a question like this, is that many people won't give you a rate because when two of more people agree to prices for a particular service in a particular area, that's something called Price fixing--which is illegal.

5. KanAg

KanAg LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

It is very different for different projects but on average $40 residential and $30 commercial.

6. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Residential 50.00. Commercial is lower depending on how many guys we can put on the job.

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Just about every residential customer I get always asks for my labor rate. The market here is pretty competative, so I let them know. I just "feel" them out and gauge what I should tell them.

I have one customer that used to work for a landscaping firm, couldn't slide that one by her without telling her.:nono:

Thanks for the input, I'm surprised by the answers.

Generally I try to bid jobs to stay within market value, or a reasonble total cost for the project.

I don't know if it's the blue collar area I live in, but it seems we can get away with larger commercial rates.

8. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm somewhere between $30-55/hr, but end up making more when I quote a flat price for a job, rather than an hourly rate. But whatever works best for you.