Labor Services...any one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by o-so-n-so, Feb 25, 2003.

1. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Has anyone had any experiences with the labor services. I went by a local labor service today and ask a few questions. The only reason I'm looking into this method of help is 1. I don't need regular help. 2. The services pays all the Ins. on the worker.
    For $12.00 hr I can get a dependable person w/ drivers license, transportation, and common sense. So they say...............
    I can hire a good worker for $10.00 hr but I don't have workman's comp for employees......How do you handle temporary help?

2. I use labor service
    $12 is a good deal
    They should be covering workers comp, UI insurance, and tax withholding for you.
    Good way to go for your situation.

3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Thanks Mr. Minney
    I did read your reply on the other thread that I posted in "Elements of Business".
    I thank you very much..
    Yes, they cover everything at the $12.00 hr. I'm going to try it and hopefully I will get a good helper that I can use on a regular basis a few hours a week.
    Do you tip these people for a job well done????

4. Art Stubbs handy 58

Art Stubbs handy 58 LawnSite Member

If you don't plan on getting any bigger, then this is the only way to go....12.oo is a very good price for what you get(Coverage wise) now the help might be questionable....The Labor Service i use will let me do interviewing at there location then you can be more selective on your help and feel good about paying the 12.00 an hour..... so good luck on finding help... make sure they have a driver License Good Luck this Season..... :D

5. o-so-n-so
    For a good worker I give an extra 5-$10 day at end of job.
    Sometimes a little more on installs if we do better than time estimate.
    Art Stubs has a good idea about the interviewing but I have done OK just telling agency what the job will be and relying on them to not send somebody that doesn't want to do that work.

6. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I used one service one time. I asked for someone that has worked in the Green ind. On first job he did OK. went to next site and by the way he was trimming. Now at this second site i was cutting the grass in the back yard he was in the front. I come around and see him trimming down all the Monkey Grass he though it was weeds. Never used a temp service again.

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is a very good price for around here. I would give it a try before you really need the help. What I mean is that I would get a person to help out on a smaller install and if they did a good job I would request them for the next large install you do. That way you have seen how the person works and how well everything went with the agency. Please let us know how it turns out.

Gravely_Man

8. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

I use labor services (Labor Ready or Labor Finders in my area ) sometimes when we need the extra labor. Sometimes you get really good help other times you get a waste of life. Last year we got good help because lots of skilled workers (blue and white collar)were laid off from their jobs and were looking for a decent pay day.
    The labor services in my areas charged me $10.60 per hr ,minimum of 4 hrs..They paid all comps. insurances. etc..
    If you get a waste of life you call up the labor service and they will send you another guy that day.It works for me.
    Gary

9. jmcooper

jmcooper LawnSite Member

Speaking of Labor Ready. Yesterday morning a guy went in the local office here in Huntsville Alabama and killed 4 people and injured one. Two of them killed were a father and his son.

Here's a link,
    http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilleti..._standard.xsl?/base/news/1046287175231380.xml

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Not always. On some larger mulching jobs, I've had both good luck and bad luck. I found it best to request at least one person more than you need. This will compensate for the one that doesn't show up.