1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Labor situation

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hogjaw, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

We have the work........but can't find anyone dependable that will show up. Don't even bother to call in. However, they don't have a problem showing up to pick up their check.

I'm now past 61, SOME of the previous generations depend and expect to be handled a free ticket. They have a way to do what they want to do and when. It's really pathetic that some lack pride, desire, responsibility, and ambition to accomplish certain things for their girlfriend, wife, and family.

We've paid up to $17.00 / hour just as an incentive to test the market (which we don't make a habit of doing), so the pay scale is not the problem. I don't ask anybody to do anything I can't or don't want to do.

Sorry, guys, imagine you have people standing at your door in the mornings wanting to work.

Thinking about setting up everything so I can go strictly solo. When I can't go, I guess I'll quit.

Thanks for listening!

2. Hogjaw

One more thing, I see a ride on in bold on my wish list, no matter what wife says.

Will nurse out of the two Lesco space savers.
  3. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I'm with you, we have offered up to the range as you have. Not a habit either, just wanted to see if made a difference, and it really did not.

I interviewed a few people this past week. Made an offer to one individual, seemed ok with it. I called him to confirm that he was to start today and he never returned my call. And that person was referred to me by a friend in the business.

I guess it is everywhere, I thought is would be a little different with the economy and the influx of college kids looking for work but I guess I was wrong.
  4. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

im not quite your years hog, but i understand and agree with what you
    are saying

people now a days are just lazy, mostly young people- dont want to work,
    and expect to be paid a fortune to do nothing
    its pretty sad but,
    a few years back , i was paying a guy 30/hr cash, and couldnt get him to
    show up to work - always got excuses

ive always worked my butt off and earned my $$, and alot of the people i know
    who are doing well today - do the same
  5. superchad

superchad LawnSite Member

This has been a problem I've had for years.Last year it just about cost me my bizz. I've tried everything to get people to work, pay very highly, and offer smaller goals than other companies. Last year I targeted already trained and certified techs, but found out why all those people were not at the company they had worked for. Believe me I could write a book, Taking a good look at everything at the end of the year and may go solo again. Tired of calling people and waking them up and asking them to come to work. :dizzy:
  6. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

OK, OK, I understand what your saying and see it just as much as the rest of you and it pisses me off. The only thing is, I'm one of those guys. Thanks for the emphasis on SOME.

Get this, I have tried and tried to get a job with anyone and everyone and noone is willing to use me. I work my a$$ off for people too. The problem is that I am a fulltime fireman. So, my one day on two days off, (at the fire station) apparently doesn't cut it for people. I would get a job, blow the other guys out of the water with work ethic, and then get canned the next week. I thought it was just the first few but after a while I just gave up. I now own my own business. :)

I guess it was meant to be, but if you can, don't forget about us fireman. A lot of us are really hard workers, some are some of the laziest a$$es you had ever met, but a lot of us will work till dark and then look for a light. Yeah, our schedule can make it a little combersome but there is a pattern to it. We have enough off time to have a second job and a lot of the guys I know are looking. We don't get paid s@&%. So keep us in mind.

All my future employees I plan on being fireman, or atleast they will have first dibs.
  7. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

by the way, I will work even harder for $30/hour. I might shut my business down if I knew I could make that kind of money.
  8. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

haha, deep green, i think that too some days--
    anyway-good tip on the firemen
    a situation like that could work out great for me
  9. Hogjaw

We're in very small town, less than 3,000 and the firemen are voluntary.

But, good heads up for the other LCO's across our Nation.
  10. Hogjaw

I'm now dreading the start of the spring, summer and fall applications. And, these are the segments of the business that I should be looking forward to and have enjoyed the most over the years. Always loved squirting and ferting time.