Labor to replace hydro pump on Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kruzn69, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Kruzn69

Kruzn69 LawnSite Member

One of the hydro pumps in my Walker needs to be replaced. Walker will replace the unit at no charge ( still under warranty, just under 3yrs. old and 558hrs) but they will not cover labor. The dealer quoted me $450 to $500 in labor. Is this a reasonable price to replace a pump? Just corious

2. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure i just want to say ouch :/

3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

The shop I now work in no longer services Walkers, but That price would mean there is alot of labor involved. Your best bet would be to ask in the Mechanics forum, I know there is atleast one mechanic that works on Walkers there:)

ericg likes this.
  4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I want to say around $ 500.00 for the part and $ 200.00 labor. I have had mine changed but can't find the slip.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It took me about 6 hrs to put the right side one in....I am shade tree mechanic and never worked on Walker until that day.

6. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I have a couple of old Great Dane surfers. I changed one in a couple of hours. 1/2 the time just thinking about it.

7. SouthernCutter

SouthernCutter LawnSite Member

if you are somewhat good with tools, you should be able to do it yourself and save the money.

8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

All I can say is, if you don't know hydraulics and attempt this one on your own you may end up violating any remaining warranty on the tractor unit.
    Also, why is the part under warranty and not the labor???
    The defective hydraulic pump replacement should be covered by the pump manufacturer provided Walker isn't.
    Sounds remarkedly fishy to me.

9. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

The only thing you need to know about hydraulics for this job is: Clean everything before disassembly, and be careful not to get any dirt in the pumps or hoses.

I can see how the manufacturer would back the pump past the Walkers warranty

10. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Correction: Found the invoice....The hydro was $ 670.00. I had a lot of work done at the same time so I don't know the exact labor charge.