1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Labor to replace hydro pump on Walker

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Kruzn69, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Kruzn69

Kruzn69 LawnSite Member

One of the hydro pumps in my Walker needs to be replaced. Walker will replace the unit at no charge ( still under warranty, just under 3yrs old and 558hrs) but they will not cover labor. The dealer quoted me $450 to $500 in labor. Is this a reasonable price? Just curious.
  2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

That the battery out, that the front body shock loose and tie the front body to keep it from falling forward.remove pump belt. remove bridge and forward ground speed assembly. remove control arm on bottom of pump.remove pump. (4 bolts). replace pump and reinstall the parts in reverse order. If Walker is paying for the pump then you are getting hosed. Even at $100 an hour that is not a 5 hour job. The hardest part is removing the pulley from the old pump and putting it on the new pump. Two hours tops. I have done one in 90 minutes. I have replace more than a few pumps. By the way what happened to the pump?
  3. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

I used to work at a dealer and had it down to a science. flat rate for a repair like that is 1.5 hours, but it can be done a lot quicker. I would say no more than 2 hours max!
  4. Kruzn69

Kruzn69 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help. The problem is that the shaft the pulley rides on moves back and forth, so I'm assuming that there is a bad bearing in the pump. I called the dealer again today and they assured me that it's a 5.5hr job.
  5. Lawdog302

Is the gear axle drive getting worked on as well? If so this would explain and justify the extra time.
  6. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Will they give you the hydro for free even if they don’t install the hydro .5.5 hours is just to run your bill up
    I change my hydrous the most it has been taking me is 1.5 hours tops. You can do it very easy:dancing:
  7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Did you really think he was going to say "Oh, Looks like I made a mistake it's only 2 hrs" :nono:

I believe I would call some other dealers and see what they charge.

Dealer locater;

Just enter your zip and click submit.....
  8. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Kruzn, If your talking about the input shaft bearing, I dont even pull the hydro to change that.
  9. Lawdog302

He did say that walker was paying to replace the unit, so i doubt it's just the shaft. I would be looking around as well if that is all that is getting done.
  10. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

The input shaft, bearing and oil seal are replaceable. I have replaced a lot of them over years. And you do not have to remove the pump to do it.