Labor took me 10 minutes. Do I charge 1/6 an hour?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Damian, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

I did nine minutes of weedeating today on a jasmine bed and maybe an extra minute of blowing the debris - did not have to clean up - before I mowed it . Should I charge 1/6th of my hourly labor rate or maybe charge a minumum of a quarter hour?

The bed was right next to my truck, so it's not like I had to even walk out of my way to start the job.

2. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

Hey...ya gotta have a minimum charge. At least 35$ just to park my truck.

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

:clapping: :clapping:

4. Dunno...How much is your labor rate?

5. FATWEASEL

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

What do you think it was worth? If you're already there mowing and it was an add-on then pick an arbitrary number...$10-$15-$20.....

If you would do the same thing for the same price, everyday, and not feel cheated, then you picked the right price.:) I agree with Nick, you gotta have a minimum.

6. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

When we are doing a little extra work when we are already mowing the property, we charge $1/minute for however long it takes. Dump fees are extra if they apply.

7. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

So while mowing the customer's yard, they ask you to do what equates to 10 minutes of weedeating, you would charge $35?

8. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

My customers know in advance that I have a min charge depending on the job. The lowest, is $30. They know in advance so that they can incorperate two or more little jobs which ends up making more sense then a small job and paying the min. If I ADD 10 minutes of weed wacking to a mowing job, it's .2 x 45.00hr = 9.00. If it were just weed wacking, then even .2 would equal $30.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on the client...sometimes stuff like that I just do for free cause I am a nice guy. What's the big deal.

10. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

I would say the big deal is just establishing policy. If you don't charge one time, how do you charge the next time and what if the next time is the next time you're there. Followed by the next, followed by the next... granted, most customers would not do that, but I have had a couple that tried.