1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by FIREMAN, May 26, 2001.

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

What are you others paying for labor? I have hooked up with a bunch of Uraguyan men this season, they have worked very well and say they have many more friends who are applying for work visas. I am paying them 7.00 per hour and they want to work from dawn until dusk. They never moan or complain and are always very courteous and gratefull for a days pay..I am thinking of importing another 2-3 of them for the rest of the season, thus far they are the most reliable and honest group of employees I have ever had..Anyone have any commentary??
  2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Here thats cheap labor, even non union guys are paying $8-$12 per hr
  3. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Make shure your guys are properly registerd. Last year one of the large landscape companys arround me lost about 50 % of their work force when immigration showed up. I know the fines are pretty stiff for illigals as well, the IRS wants to talk with you when INS is finished.

Good Luck,
    Jim L
  4. i pay my guys on average anywhere from about 10 dollars an hour to about 13 dollars an hour. they are from equador.
  5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We pay crew leaders more...MUCH more. Laborers are contracted through a labor service and are paid 7/hr/man. We write one check per week to the service.

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

They do have visa's though I'm honestly not certain of whether or not they are work visa's. I considered asking them but honestly am concerned that they may fear any questions along these lines. The last thing I need is to scare off 50% of my work force....what would you do???
  7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Have you completed form I-9? You are to have one on all workers!