Labor ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southscape, Feb 23, 2003.

1. southscape

southscape LawnSite Member
    from NC

I've got a bid for a bunch of schools in the area & they are lookiing for a labor bid to spread pine needles. I've not had to spread this many bales before & am wondering how long it would take. The specs are for:

150 bales:
    200 bales:
    300 bales:

Thanks for the help!
  2. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

for flat open ground with little of no detail you can put down around 40 bale per hour. this does not include time to tuck edges or clean needles off plants flowers etc. lots of plants bushes etc. cut that in half (15-20) bale per hour..
  3. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Never have i heard of "baled pine needles". Are you placing them in the mulch beds in place of bark mulch? Is this a common practice for everyone? Anyone have any pictures of how a site looks after they've been spread?

4. strickdad

sorry, no pics. but baled needles are comman place around here. we put out a total of 7100 bales last year.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

How much is it a bale?

How many square feet can you cover at say 3"?

How often do you have to redo this in beds?
  6. strickdad

rodfather we buy it buy the tailer load, we have a old 45' x 96" strick trailer and they can get 630 bales on it. we pay less than 3.00 a bale and we install for anywhere from 5.50 to 6.50 depending on quanity.. a bale will useually cover around 32 sq. ft at 3" hope this helps.. as far as how long it will last, ideally you need to do it twice a year. but most wont go for it because of cost..
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Just one more often do you have to reapply it?
  8. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

When I drove down to FLA last year I stopped at a rest stop somewhere and saw the pine needle muclh. I was amazed that people actually use this stuff, as I have problems getting rid of it! It looked pretty good though.
  9. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Southscape, you should be able to put down between 8 and 14 bales per hour (depending on plants etc). The best way for you to figure out how long it takes is to get a stopwatch and time yourself, but remember to be realistic, don't throw down a bale and see how long it takes, remmeber that you may be putting down 300 so your times are going to be a little slower at 3:00 in the afternoon in a July sun. Strickdad, just out of curiosity what part of NC are you in? I am looking for a pinestraw supplier this year so anything you want to share would be greatly appreciated.
  10. goose

goose LawnSite Member

We avg 17 bales per hour and charge between $7.50 and $9.00 per bale . We also buy it by the trailor . We usually get about 920 at a time at about $2.90 a bale.