Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Hokie84, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Hokie84

Hokie84 LawnSite Member

I have a client who runs a day care center. They are redoing the playground next year, and she would like me to install a paver labyrinth. I have found a paver kit for a labyrinth online but it is well beyond our budget. Has anyone done something like this, perhaps by modifying a circle kit? I am looking for any suggestions.
  2. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I think that it could be done with many circle kits of different colors, but if budget is and issue, it would probably be better done with pavers in right angle patterns. This would have a lower material cost and faster installation.

Just an idea.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

What if you laid it out using contrasting colors of Antika by Techo-Bloc? Then you could lay pretty much any shape, with NO CUTS (woohoo!)

Just a thought...
  5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

congressional by hannover is the brick with the saw tooth ends they'd lock together good but you are limited to right angles.

I'm surprised with a day care center they are even considering hard surface....

I would think the labor alone would be awful, especially if you did not get it lined up right just...:)
  6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

what a cool idea, is the budget even capable of using pavers? What are the dimensional limits?

I would use red clay brick, runningbond pattern no soldier course, 9 bricks wide (3'), 90* turns, seperated by 2' planting beds of karl foerster grass, green mountain boxwood and sky pencil holly.

Or in place of the plants use boulders, haybales or if outside dimensions are limited use simple wood fencing.

Since its for young kids I suppose you could even forgo any inside walls and just build a solid hardscape and make the pathways out of brick and the "walls" out of large pavers.

Lots of idea's, maybe I'll do one of these for my kids school........thanks for the idea.
  7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

for a man that charges that much he really should have an arial photo:nono: his link section is good though.
  8. stahlfaust

stahlfaust LawnSite Member

i know it wouldnt look as good, but how about your basic paver job, but then paint the labyrinth?
  9. Dountman

Dountman LawnSite Member
    from MA

I have built a labyrinth out of Techo-Bloc Olympia Pavers. We purchased the large template of the labyrinth and laid it out over a screeded stone dust base of about 6" on top of about 6" of dense grade. The template shows the outline of the proposed area where you walk through the labyrinth. We then created templates from cardboard to cut out the pavers accordingly. This was a very time consuming process as it took me and another guy with two saws three 8 hour days to cut out the outline. Once we had the outline cut out and finished we then rock faced all the cuts and then added stone dust in the area where you walk. On top of this we put down 1" - 2" River Rock in as close of a fit as possible in a tamped stone dust bed. Once the River Rock was in we added Polymeric Sand to stabilize the River Rock. This again was very time consuming and took about another three days with two people. The total time to construct was about 10 days with a price around 11 grand. Sorry I don't have pictures of the finished product. I did not have a camera at the time. My boss I'm sure has pictures but he is about two hours away and I am currently at school. I will try to track some pictures down of the finished product but no guarantees. Let me know if you have any questions as my explanation is probably not the greatest.
  10. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Grn mountain - you use screedings instead of concrete sand ?