Lack of knowledge, need help

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Flow Control, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Never installed a non-potable system before. My question is since it is non potable, why would it require a RPZ backflow?

*newcanadaflag* WTF is that? A canadian hitler?

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Generally local building codes dictate the type of backflow....but even though it is non-potable it is either hooking up to a potable poublic supply or if it is a well it is connected to the water table...

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Potable water sources get protection. About the only three sources I'd consider as not requiring toxic-rated backflow are surface water, cistern water, and shallow well water.

4. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

It is at a college where all of the storm water is collected and used for the irrigation system. The diagram just states a poc location, maybe the designer just assumed it was city water? Kinda don't want to put the rpz in if all it is going to due is take away from the pressure. What would you seasoned pro's do?

5. I would consult with the designer of the system and get an amendment to the specs.

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with SodKing... Contact the local government and see what codes are in affect.