Lack of Motivation a Problem for anyone?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lawn_pro, Apr 4, 2006.

1. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

First time this has happened, but it is the beginning of the season, everything is going good....plenty of customers no problems with equipment, all the experienced employees are coming back...lots of stuff to be doing...And I am not really that excited to go out and work this spring, not sure what the deal is...I am really not a slacker...Anyone else ever experience this?

2. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Had that happen to me back in 97. Sold everything to someone I knew. A few months ago I pull up next to him in my 2000 jetta. He has a brand new truck worth about 45K and his house is worth about 4x as much. Guess what I'm doing now. :cry: :cry: :cry: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

It happens. I just got out of that mode. After getting a part time job as a bus boy and making 35 bucks a night you learn whats fun and whats not fun.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, it's something that even the hard core go through.
    Sorta like procrastination in a way too.

It's normal I think...

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

sure, i think everyone experiences a lull in their motivation. you have any goals that you are working towards? if you become complacent about the growth of your company, that's when you'll start to take it for granted. when you have something to work for, or strive for, that's when you'll be more motivated. set yourself a new goal to reach.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing motivates me faster than the higher estimates, coupled with 'clean' work (example: mulch, grass cutting lush green)
    Nothing motivates me less than low bids, together with dirty work (example: brush clearing, running machines through dirt lots).

If I know I can earn close to record $ / hour by half goofing around, I wake up at 6am ready to ROLL without alarm clock and even if I was up until 4am.

If I know I underbid, it could be noon before I get out of bed, if I make it.

7. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Everytime I feel like this I think about when I had to work for someone else:cry: I'm like a kid again and ready to kick butt on the job:weightlifter:

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

OH yea..in fact I don't want to work at ALL,I don't wanna leave the house!But now I am tiering of the rain and snow and starting to get a bit of either cabin..or spring fever.Once I get into the work..go to the nursery and start picking out plants and tree's,I am sure I will snap out of it..I have to I have to pay my bills...great motivation for me.I have been waiting on a certain rock I need for several jobs to get up here..well it is here after 3 weeks..coulden't deliver today because the supplier got his big dump stuck in the mud real bad a few towns away..so that kind of start/stop and weather conditions start/stop..kinda messes with you.Get out there and you'll be fine.

9. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

yep not motivated at all ,daylight savings time does it for me ,just don't want to get out of bed .plus its well in the 80 degree mark here,just drains any motivation ya have .but got some new stuff from ups today ocdc and two new larger tires for the hp something new to try out hp came with 24/9.50/12 jump up to 24/12/12 for more grip on the wet stuff

10. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have the worse case of it this spring I have ever had and Im not a slacker either. Between the wonderful luck I have been having and poor health Im having to make myself go everyday and Im trying to jumpstart myself remembering what its like to work for someone else.