Lady asks...Do you do this for a living?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smitty58, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

How many times do you get asked that? What do they think, you do this for free? Of course I know what they are asking it justs bugs me. It seems like people think if you are a part timer then you are somehow less professional or something. The only thing that seperates my company from the "full timer" is they probably have more customers. I have all the same legal junk that a "full timer" has. So when I was asked that question yesterday I replied..."Well it's one of them". I used to answer ,no I work full time somewhere else and do this on my days off. The truth is anyone that owns their own business knows you put a lot of "off the clock" time in doing all the stuff you have to do to run a business. So in reality you are working 2 full time jobs. So how do you do answer that question?

2. Grass Busters Inc.

Grass Busters Inc. LawnSite Member

My favorite was when i was in high school (last year). people would ask if I had a job, I would respond " yes I own a small landscaping company" (they respond) oh that's nice do you have a real job ? :angry: I was making 12 times what any one ells was in that school (unless I sold drugs).

Oh well even now when people ask what I am doing now that I have graduated I respond "still growing my business" (they respond) oh are you going to school to get a real job :angry: ?

Smitty58 I think you said it right, what do they think this is a charity service?

3. Anthony-MB

Anthony-MB LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Bloody hell i'm over 35 - and I'm all ways asked why do i mow lawns..
    Ahhmm to make more money than YOU... no that doens't go well
    .. so i lie .. to pay off bills... to buy another house ..
    they like it when i say want to buy another house ..
    so thats my line .. and i'm sticking to it

of the 32 custumers last year 8 asked me that question
    :waving:

4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I have never been asked that question.
    With the employees and I in uniform, driving lettered trucks pulling enclosed trailers that carry modern, clean equipment, it is readily apparent we are professional and serious.
    The income is approximately equal to what I made building golf courses throughout the mid west and asia. I just don't live in motels anymore. :)

5. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

I've been asked that question plenty of times, mostly in the begining of my business. I always wondered why people ask this question (not that I really care). I think there's differant reasons why people ask. A new customer may ask because they're trying to figure if you're going to be dependable. Or they may be trying to figure your level of sucess with your business so they can judge for themselves weather or not you know what you're doing. Then there are others, these may be family members or fellow employees from your regular or last job- who think you're not worth a grain of salt because you're not following the masses by punching a clock and being a societal slave like they are, and deep down wishing they were in your shoes. Who knows? ..whatever, But rest assured that when someone askes, you are being judged by some measure.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Awe...my favorite is sitting at the gas station with $60k of truck, trailer and equipment and some idiot asking..."do you cut grass?"

7. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I know when someone askes me what I do that I feel proud to say I own my own Lawn Care Company (be it ever so small). Never felt this good working as a Marketing Director for a national financial company for almost 30 years. And no one has ever treated me as anything but professional. As someone said earlier, acting professional and looking professional will get you treated as professional. I see so many LCO's that look like they just crawled out of the swamp.

8. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a customer call me the other day and ask if I was still in business.

Like it wouldn't have been a big surprise to him if I would have said no.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

And your green from grass cliping and sweat and then the, "must have just finished mowing huh?"

Mac

10. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL!! at least once a week I get that...