Lady Calls For Estimate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jhawk71, Apr 27, 2005.

1. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

Today I receive a call from a homeowner in my neighborhood asking for an estimate. I show up look around and then go up to the door, introduce myself and say hello. Then tell her $30 a week. She replies that's what the guy I currently have is charging. She paused as if I was going to lower my price. After I didn't come down she replied. Bye! I got this call from an ad I placed in my neighborhood newsletter. In the ad I said I was a high school student. I am guessing she read high school student and thought she could save a few bucks. What bothers me (15) is that I could have done a better job than who she currently has, the guy left stringers throughout the yard and did a poor job trimming and edging. Anybody else get calls like this.

Jhawk71

2. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

The high school screwed you, next time I would leave that out of your ad, if you give an estimate tell them the "boss" sent you, if they call its your phone ringing :D .....around here some college kids are doing the same, but some people want someone for the long team, not just a season........

3. Ptunia

Ptunia LawnSite Member

A word of friendly advice....DON"T ADVERTISE YOUR AGE!
    You probably do good work, but when people see "high-school" they think inexperienced, undependable and unreliable.

You are probably none of those things, but you could be losing the opportunity to prove yourself, by those too little words..."high-school".

Just a suggestion! :cool2:

4. Ptunia

Ptunia LawnSite Member

Todd...
    A little harsh aren't you. Did you have a bad day today? Be nice! :p

5. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

On the other hand, advertising your age may give off somewhat of a good impression. Some people just expect students to do work like this, and they feel more comfortable calling a kid. Then when they see the kind of good work you do, they are pleasantly surprised.

Just playing a little devils advocate.

6. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

Ptunia and A. Martinez Thank you for the advise for removing my age.

Todd's Lawn care
    Sure I was disappointed in not getting the lawn, but honestly it was probably a good thing I didn't. I have 15 yards and come fall with football and school, I will be crunched for time. But just because I didn't get the yard doesn't mean I am going to start bashing the current guy. When I first showed up to the home I saw stripes on the yard and thought to myself I was at the wrong house. After double checking the address I thought she must have fired the last guy by the way the yard looked. Also when I made the comments about the yard did I even say it was that bad? All I said was that there was stringers throughout the yard and that the current guy did a poor job trimming. Is that so harsh?

Jhawk71

7. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

That was uncalled for so why dont you go to bed and hope you wake up with a better attitude

8. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

Had I just driven by like you said no I probably wouldn't have noticed the stringers but I would the trimming around the trees. I am always looking at other company's work as I drive through my neighborhood. This allows me to see how their doing it and what I can do to make my yards look better. That's why I am a member of Lawnsite there is so much information I have learned from reading and asking questions here.
    Jhawk71

9. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

I work with developmentally disabled adults on my landscape crews and I'll tell you that I've had the same thing happen. These guys work harder than any "normal" people around and some of the wankers that call me get a knot in their knickers when I quote a price. They think because my guys are disabled, we will do their yard for $8/ week. I have a biker paying $42.50/ week and he loves my guys. He always makes sure they're wearing gloves and safety glasses and buys them a Gatorade each every week. If this silly cow can't spend the same amount for better work, I say bugger it. There will be others to take her place shortly. Keep a stiff upper lip laddy.

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Mabey your add in the newsletter led her to beleive that you would do it for less?Sometimes we leave an unintended impression with our words when writeing adds .What exactly did your add say by the way?I am curious to know if what I said is really the case.