Lady calls for leaf cleanup...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Phone rings, I answer... "I need to find someone to clean up my leaves, I've raked them into piles (sycamore leaves) but don't have the evergy yo bag them all up, do you have a truck you can load them into?" "Well, yes", I reply, "However it's easier for me to pick them up if they weren't piled, but I can do it, I just use my mower to pick them up." She says, "Oh, well there's too many for your mower, I need someone to pick them up." I try to explain... " I use my mower to pick them up, it grinds them up and bags them then I dump them into my truck" Then the nutbag says: "Ok, well I will just have to find someone else who can pick them up, I just can't, it would be like 15 bags." I give up... "ok, sorry I couldn't help." click.

Ok, does anyone else get the nutbags that think everyone is as dumb as them to actually pick up and load leaves that are still WHOLE??? I don't put anything into my truck that hasn't been shread to dust (providing it's dry...) I'd have 5 truckloads a day if I loaded my bed with whole leaves, the load may only weigh 10 pounds... but it would be full...

Same sorta topic, I got a call early in the season, guy looking for leaf cleanup. Asked if I had a leaf vaccumm, I said no, I use my mowers to pick them up. He says, no, you need a vaccumm that shreads them up, this is a lot of leaves. I respond, My mower does shred them up and bags them it's all Iv'e used for leaves for years now. He says, ok, well I'll just look for someone else that has a leaf vaccumm.

WTF???? I am just shooting myself in the foot here I guess. If they ask, from now on I'm just answering, "yes I have a highly sophisticated riding leaf shreadder/bagger"

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would have said, "How about if I come over and take a look at it and give you an estimate for the work."

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know, I kinda like the highly sophisticated leaf grinding bagging machine, thats a good one.
    I think i will advertise like that, I use the latest most highly sophisticated leaf grinding vacuum auto bagging machine available.

I agree Troy, I would 've just offered to go look it over.

4. tiedeman

from earth

the worst I feel is when customers rake them into piles and they think that it's easier for us that use mowers to pick them up....wrong. It makes it more of a pain in the buttocks

5. stumper1620

ya especially if they get rained in a few times

6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I've been getting tons of stupid calls. I swear, whenever I advertise, its like a month of nothing but torture when I have to answer the phone.

I got one today, in a very nice area of town, kinda scared to go work there because the cops are so strict. But anyway, this woman says she wants to know how much I charge for leaf removal. I explain "It's too hard to give you an estimate over the phone since I don't know how large the grounds are, but I could come out and give you an estimate, but it's going to only be an estimate theres alot of variables that will change the price" she then says "Ok..but how do you charge" I said by the hour she goes "Oh so its by the hour then" me "yes ma'am"....Round 2.... "well how do you do it? How many people" I said "one or two man crew depending if I have a helper that day" "Oh well how do you remove the leaves" "We use blowers and a vacuum on a truck and then we'll haul them away" pause "Oh, well come by tomorrow thanks" I stopped her and said "I kind of need your address"

haha. I get this all the time, and she was younger. I could see if it was an elderly woman, I get that alot, but this woman sounded younger. I checked a map of the area, its going to be a huge cleanup so as along as i get it, i'll be happy. :D

7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

yep. Normally if they just did them the day before and theres no rain, I'll tarp them up to the truck and suck em up. Like you said though, let them sit and oh boy we're havin fun then! payup

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Actually I did offer... I asked for her address and she only gave me the street and then went back to her nutty talk about how she needed her leaves hauled off.

I run into the piles of leaves too often... usually it's their kids that do it, trying to make a buck from mom and dad, they get them raked and that's as far as it goes. Usually there's a rake or two in the pile somewhere too!

9. stumper1620

LOL, yup, I know thats right. WHACK!! oops!

10. tiedeman

from earth

it wasn't as bad as last year. I sucked up a skate board.:realmad: