1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lady, just give me the check, please!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by skidmaster, Oct 14, 2005.

1. skidmaster

skidmaster LawnSite Member

My father once told me that a good businessman is one who takes the time to speak with customers in a polite and professional manner. My father once told me that it is the service after the sale that separates the men from the boys in business. My father once told me that hard work, honesty, being dependable and forthright are all qualities one needs in order to be the best he/she can be. What my father neglected to tell me is that one day I may ring the bell at a customers house after completing my work and that the customer would hold the check and kind of tease me with it, not actually hand it to me, but hold it half way out the door and only give it to me after they explained in great detail about having their rectum cortorized, their ball and socket operation, their malpractice suit over T.M.J. because of bad dental implants.Has anyone out there encountered this? I don't get it! I am leaning, heavily, towards going more into construction where I do a job, finish, get paid and then maybe some repeat work down the road. 18 years of the same faces week after week, before you know it I may have to have my rectum cortorized! Yuk.
  2. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes you have to listen to all the sad stories
  3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Send them a monthly invoice and you won't have to ring the bell. I agree, it is frustrating talking to some of these customers. We are there to do a job and then get to the next one. Not to talk. :angry:
  4. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

One of the first things I learned about lawn care was : Ringing the doorbell 10 times a day added more than an hour to my workday. Have them mail the check!
  5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I have to say I've had an encounter like that. I cut for some low lives renting a house this woman owns. I used to cut for her and she was honest and good to deal with. Well I do a big clean up job for them not her and they were supposed to pay me not her as usual. Well they give me the run around for weeks and me being a guy that doesn't like high tensity angry situations let them gie their excuses over and over. My mom (Manager) get's on the phone and has to talk to the woman over there and she gets so mad and angry saying she will pay me and makes excuses so we hang up. Next day she calls and says some over for your money. My dad offers to come bt I go alone. She tells me a bunch of bull sh.. and I just stand there and listen just wanting to get most of my money waving in her hand. Then she gives it to me and tells me she will need me later this week. I look at her and walk away. I call the woman who owns it later and she said they've been evicted. Good for them. Now the house is empty waiting to be renovated. That thing should be condemed.
  6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

how about the ones that owe you money and avoid you for 2 or 3 weeks so you stop cutting for them ,then they only call to pay you when their grass is waste deep and they need your services again. i go out there and agree to cut it again just so they will hand me what they currently owe me then i quietly turn and leave never to return. :mad:
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Sounds like you already did:laugh:

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Next time as they start to talk politly interupt them and say I'm sorry to have to rush you but I charge by the hr and someones gonna have to pay for the time I'm missing. That will give them the message and if it don't charge them for your time.
    BTW-- Mail the invoices and don't be bothered by the small talk EACH time
  9. skidmaster

skidmaster LawnSite Member

John: Push broom, push mower, hand trimmer...... You got the right idea. Anyway, the other side to this story is that whenever I leave a bill, weeks go by for the past four services. So, sheepishly I approach to be compensated then you get the old, "oh, my wife has the checkbook, or my husband etc". All I can say is that I go to them and I expect to get paid. Think of it this way, you are not a creditor, you walk behind a lawnmower or sit on one, whatever, you and your equipment are covered in dog excrement, grease, you stink of exhaust and gas, goddamn it, pay me you old hag! If I had enough capital to issue credit to all my customers, I wouldn't be cutting grass. I would be hanging at the Playboy mansion with Hef doing Jello shots and laying pipe with a few hotties! Are ya with me fellas?
  10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

when ever you hear the "husdand or wife has the check book and is not home" is when I tell them to go to there little box of checks and take one out of order and pay me now!

I've about heard them all