1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lady tries to get something for free, when i wont do it....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 19, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

so check it out. started a new lawn about 2 months ago. lady asks for extra stuff, i give her quotes. right off the bat, this is a royal pain in the butt customer. okay, she wants a huge hedge trimmed, and i know shes gonna nit pick, so i tell her hourly only, thats the only way we charge for trimming. but, before we do trimming, she wants some removel done. an old plum, and 5 arbs, removed and bundled at the curb for township pickup. i gave her a nice price. we also put a new plum in at the same time. so now the bull **** starts. "oh, while youre here, i need those other 5 arbs removed." im like, "well, im sorry mam, we only alowed enough time in our schedule for the work that we agreed upon, when we come next time to trim the hedge, we will do the extra removel at that time." she says, "well, u r not gonna charge me extra to remove the additional trees, are u? i said, "yes mam, we will just do it on the time clock while we are trimming the hedge." she gets royally pissed, cus she cant get anything for free out of me. so, as we are packing up, she starts the ****. i dont like where the tree is positioned, it needs to go a little to the right. so, we move it. no, maybe a little to the left, no maybe back around 6 inches, u know, real pain in the butt. well, after all considered, and fact that im getting better customers on a regular basis, i needed to trim some of the fat. so, i send her a cancellation notice along with the name and number of a good guy to take over. so, dig this: the guy calls me, and says this women is badmouthing me all over town, saying that she payed me in advance, and i took off without doing the work! its an outright fairy tale. what do i do? i mean, its been only 2 weeks, and alot of people have heard that i "ripped her off"
  2. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I would call her up or better yet go by and ask her why she has been saying such things when it's not true. My experience often is when people are confronted (nicely) they change their tune; Of course that doesn't mean she won't continue to talk smack to other people. I feel for you.
  3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

contact your attoney and have a letter sent to her with a copy of the agreement that you had with her along with a copy of the amount she had paid for the work to be done. and state that what she is doing is called 'slander' and you will pursue civil suit aginst her if this continues.:D
  4. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I am no Dr. Phil, but just let it go. You know as well as the other guys that your reputaion is better than that.....right? I have yet to meet you and I already know you personally. lol

Keep em coming. Like sands thru the hour glass, so are the days of our lives.
  5. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

I used to teach Business Law and what she is doing is in fact slander. Let her know that you will sue her for the damage she has done to the business name in the community. Preferably do this through an attorney as described above. Make sure you have documentation of your original agreement, etc and I would swing by there ASAP and take a few snapshots to show that the work was done. Unfortunately, you probably don't have any before shots, but something is better than nothing.
  6. I see a lawsuite comming.

SLANDER is against the law. Because it can realy do damage
  7. Prove it!!!!!!!
  8. Need PROOF, that she slandered you, and those casesd on't go far.
  9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

This says it all!
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Send Her A Letter (Make It Look Like a Lawyer Sent It) Then Do what COS SAID!