Lady wants price over phone

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

What is with people, do they think I have a magic crystal ball that allows me to view their propeties in detail remotely? I just got a call from a lady who wants two areas reseeding (she did give me dimensions on one of them), phragmites mowed and a drainage problem fixed (top soil hauled in) and wants a price over the phone. I told her I'd have to see the place and tried to set up an appointment but she said nevermind then, I'll find someone else. Oh, and she wants it done immediately, lol.

2. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I get alot of people wanting prices over the phone. The way i see it if they aren't willing to give you an adress so you can give a proper estimate you probably don't to deal with them anyway. Last year some guy calls me up and gives the general area of about 10 rental units he wanted mowed. They happened to be in the heart of the downtown area where barely have enough room to park a motorcycle and crime rate is like south central LA. I told to go ahead and call the next guy because I don't work conditions like that and he completely freaked over the phone. The guy went totally nuts just because I didn't want to go into that area of town. Hell, if you step around the back side of a house for 2 or 3 minutes your trailer would be completely stripped, no thanks.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

That's the nice part of being a business owner; you can pick and choose where you want to work and who you want to work for. Not much crime in my area but you do have to keep an eye on things like backpack blowers and fiberglass handled hand tools...it seems they grow legs when unattended.

4. FastMan

FastMan LawnSite Senior Member

Wow,,, you just decimated my perception of Montana.

5. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Had this same thing happen in the bad part of Tulsa. The person took it to the next level and called the BBB because I wouldn't give them a quote or a drive by. BBB called and I told them the story and then of course they wanted me to join. no thank!!!!!!!!:hammerhead:

6. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Most of it is nice but in the downtown part of the bigger cities there is alot of scum. People would slice your throat with a butter knife for 12 pack of Keystone.

7. Aaronnc

Aaronnc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7B

Well maybe not in detail, but definitely remotely. At least square footage wise, as long as you have an address. For a fee, you can use something like goilawn or free ones like: http://measurefromouterspace.com/index.cfm or google maps/earth or http://www.freemaptools.com/area-calculator.htm. There's all kinds of free and paid ones on the net. Just be careful and make sure the maps are up to date or the latest. It obviously doesn't replace seeing the property, but it can used as a very helpful tool in dealing with phone customers.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Is this even worth posting about?
    I would dismiss it and move on without further adieu.

9. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell these customers that all the jobs you estimate over the phone are also installed and executed over the phone....that they will need to keep the phone clear of traffic on the installation day so you can get the work done without interruption.

10. greens witch

greens witch LawnSite Member

Wow I was born in Great Falls MT, I guess things change over the years! People expect the impossible sometimes. I over see an 18 hole golf course, and this lady calls the other day and wants me to drop everything and come over to mow in back of her house NOW because she has company coming. All the houses back up to the course, about a thousand of them. I have a 4 person crew and it takes everything we have just to get the rough mowed in a 40hr week. I told her she would have to wait for the rough mower to make his normal rounds. I dont think I made any brownie points!