lady won't pay,what should i do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ol'time Lawncare, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

last season i picked up this old lady, late Aug,2003 anyway she did'nt fill out a contract, she always forgot to leave out the check for me on cut day, so i would have to return that night to collect,i cut every Friday,up till November.this year she was doing good till the roofers got there last mouth.i pull up and i can't cut, she says come back next week, i said OK, next week comes and the roofers are still there, and the grass is growing. once again ,she says next week, so that next week i go 2 days earlier on a Wednesday, and cut her, the check is there but no extra. she should have none to leave some more , i think right! so i call her that night to tell her 20 bucks more on top of the cut. she says ,i cant pay, maybe next week, she don't have money.witch is bull! next week came and went and she told me i was beat!lol, so my question is, could i take her to court and make an example of her, 20 bucks and court costs? should i do it... i mean its only 20 bucks, but its the point of it isnit? what should i do?she said before she hang up on me, i'll take my chances in court,but you are beat and laught at me as the phone went dead.

2. RedRock

RedRock LawnSite Member

First sentence says it all..."no contract"; not worth your time for twenty bucks in court I would just move on...

3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

N.J..... huh? get in touch with Gedd industies and rent one of his patented shovels..... :)

4. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

sooooo, no contract no money is that how it works. i have the time, and court around here is at night, so time is not the thing. what ever it takes. i want her __ass!

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I would never even sweat over such a small amount myself. Esp since you never told her she had to pay additional and only relied on her "assuming" that maybe she should. If I were in her shoes I wouldn't have paid extra either on my own and since you don't have a contract and never told her a different price you'd be the one to lose in court not her.

6. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Ol'Time,
    Help the 'ol lady out and keep mowing. Just write it off on taxes as uncollected debt.

7. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

ok,no contract right? how was she paying you?

8. Ol'time Lawncare

from NJ

she has payed with check allways!

9. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

Old lady???? why dont you steal her dentures while your at it....

You will look real good in court when she comes to the podium with her walker........

The judge should throw you in jail.... Consider it goodwill and move on...........

10. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

how are you going to prove you even cut her lawn?