1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lady's windshield cracked. blames me.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Sep 22, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i have a nursing home account that i do on thursdays. well, any way administrator stops me and asks me if i have insurance. i tell him yes and why? he then proceeds to tell me that some lady has a crack in her windshield and is blaming me for it. he asked her if she had insurance and she said yes, so he said they'd cover it. he told me that i need to fax in my policy just incase she pushes the issue. my question is, am i liable even though no one knows what exactly caused the crack in her windshield? should i just pay for it and be done with it or should i fight it. opinions please.

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Don't cave in! Stand your groung if they didnt see you do it then you didn't do it. Let her insurance cover it. Dont give up any info other than what they already know.
  3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Let her go after you, sometimes they'll looking for a free ride. She probably dosen't have glass coverage and just looking for a excuse.
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

A crack??? If you hit it with a rock it will be a center based smash like thing like when a baseball hits the windshield. If it is a long straight crack then you prolly didnt hit it with anything.
  5. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

I was driving behind a dump truck hauling stone and I seen the piece come out of the trailer but couldnt get out of the way, I ended up with a small pit and crack in the windshield..... Not to mention we were on the interstate going about 65 mph very very little damage
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I dont know about kentucky, but in florida a windshield is paid for with no deductable if its broken and the person doesnt know how it happened. Another thing to consider, is this nursing home big? Good amount of money?
  7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

had something like that happen a month or so ago some lady next door to a 6 acre property said we shot a rock threw her window feild mowing the property no one saw it and she didnt approach us until 4 days later ( we had been there for a week cleaning it up) long story short we ate the $96 for the window because she was getting pretty evil to us about it
  8. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

its in a small city. i'd say they have around 100 employees, tops. why do you ask? also, they suck at paying. always late because they go through corperate. i'm gonna collect about 200 this year in late fees.
  9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I would want to see the crack before I determined if it may have been my fault or not.
  10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

contact your ins first and explain what happened and ask then what to do.
    Thats what there for, to represent their insured.