1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

LAGOON... SEWAGE POND... Help!!! Please tell me how to mow.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tejas241, Aug 27, 2005.

1. tejas241

tejas241 LawnSite Member

Hello guys and gals!

I have a huge problem... bid 9 mobile home parks and got them, about 400 lots. Went low $3.50 lot, there is trash everywhere and I am working myself to death!
    Anyway, he said one had a lagoon which looked like a quaint little pond with a fence (thought i might see if i could fish it). I did not walk near it until i went to mow it... IT IS A SEWAGE POND!

HUGE BANKS, and there is no way I want to ride my zero into that pond so we hit it with the weedeaters... 4 hours.

Do you guys have any recomendations, ideas???

I have heard you can somwhat control growth w/ chemical but have never done it. Anyway, any recomendations???
  2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

3. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Well the gas mask will help with the odor but where is a web site for scuba diving wet suits ? (In case one of the workers slips into the lagoon).

Seriously you can control the growth (stop it and kill it) with chemicals. Glosphate (Roundup) (Generic is less money) will do the job. If it were me I think I would go this route instead of taking a dip.
    But if you wipe out the grass and weeds erosion will probably begin on the slopes.

PS: you need to be licensed to spray herbicides commercially.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Go to wal mart and buy a couple of cheap push mowers.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sewage pond? $3.50 a lot? 4 hours of bank trimming? Sounds like fun? NOT
  7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

$3.50/lot? Why don't you just become a non-profit organization then at least you can claim at the end of the year a decent wage.
  8. rodfather

No matter how small the lots are 400 of ANYTHING is still alot IMO...
  9. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

First I am not sure but I don't believe that raw open sewage is legal and second you and your workers can get seriously ill from it. I would do some research on the sewage and I would explain to the owner that you were under the impression that this was a pond not a sewage retainer. How are you going to handle the situation if you or your workers get seriously ill? This is what I would be concerned with and I personally don't mow sh**, I mow grass.
  10. rodfather

I have relatives that live in SC. You would be surprised what people can get away with there. Period