Laid grass at home and back is killing me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cajuncutter, Apr 5, 2003.

1. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

Well people are posting before and after pictures so I figured I would. I have never really taken the time to participate in this trend even though I have had a digital camera for a little over a year now. I figured what the heck!! I need a serious back rub now!! My worker did not show up yesterday so this took a little while. My wife and I moved into this house a year and a half ago. The lady that had it never did anything with the yard. I bet I could have reconstructed a small tree with all the limbs that were on the ground and also there were leaves from hell. Well we have been slowly pluging away at doing things with the yard. This is just the latest. The soil was so compacted that the tiller would hardly break the surface. My neighbor from down the street came over as I was tilling and he said down on his end of the street it sounded like I was tilling concrete. :D I just hope the grass takes.

2. cajuncutter

This was the yard before I tilled

b4till.jpg

3. cajuncutter

after tilling

tilled1.jpg

4. cajuncutter

another

tilled2.jpg

5. cajuncutter

And this morning. I could not take pictures yesterday for I had to finish this in the dark!!:dizzy:

grass1.jpg

6. cajuncutter

I just thought this pic turned out neat:)

justanother.jpg

7. cajuncutter

The first picture was taken last year. All that was in front of the house was a row of monkey grass on either side of the door with some poor azaleas them. The bed on the left I built at the end of the summer and to the right I replaced the azaleas in December. I ran Tabors all the way across.

8. Beautiful house & new lawn. Soil did look a little stiff at first.But it was well worth it:)

9. cajuncutter

thanx John!!

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

This situation reminds me of why it pisses me off so much that so many people feel that landscape employees should be happy to work for them for $8 or $10 an hour. This stuff is HARD WORK.

They should make above average wages, not below. If our economy had been left to regulate this itself, without outside influences, they would.

I wouldn't lay sod 40 hours a week for $50,000 a year. Would you? I find it ironic that many expect them to happily do it for $20,000 or less.