1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

laid off for the winter

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dmk395, Jun 10, 2001.

1. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

Can you pay yourself and/or your employees to work at a charitable association. Then use this as a tax write off?

example: heavy rain for days, all maintenance is completed, we are all twittling ours thumbs looking for something to do in the short term until the ground is firm enough to mow.

2. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

yup found out what you say is correct, if i lay myself off then the business can't exist. hell it was worth a shot
  3. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

My wife and I work our business togethher but I thought about "employing" her so we could collect her unemployment in the winter. First my accountant giggled then went over the extra costs to set up this way and dissuaded my thoughts. A guys always gotta be thinking though.:)
  4. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Heck, maybe I should just sell the business to my 16 year old sister, then pay myself as an employee. LOL
  5. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Increasing overhead is not a problem if you can charge for the increase, still make a profit, and keep the people working.

Most viable contractors that offer snow removal services (and treat it as a profit center) find that it carries a much higher margin as compared to landscape maintenance.

Don't discount it as an option.
  6. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

:) In Michigan if you are related to the owner, spouse-child, you can only draw for 7 weeks.