laid off workers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PRECISION LC, Mar 13, 2003.

1. PRECISION LC

PRECISION LC LawnSite Member

here in wichita there have been alot of lay-offs by various airplane manufactures and i have heard of many of the laid-off employees are starting a lawn mowing service. I have talked to several people about this and they are concerned about saturated the market will get in the comming season. how will this effect the market here?
    The way i look at it is, these companies will only be here for a short while so i will be able to buy them out cheap.
    What do you all think?

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

There are a lot more people getting laid this year. Most think that since I have a lawnmower I can open a lawn care company and make lots of money. You have to be customer oriented, dependable and knowledgeable to keep the good customers in this line of work.

Gravely_Man

3. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I wish i was. :D

4. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

I thought about this happening to since everyone thinks that they cn start there own lawn care business and never think about how hard it really is.

5. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Ahem hem, I think a slight re-wording is appropriate here....:D :blush: HA HA!

Yeah, I have noticed this. dont worry, they are just in it to make a quick buck or two, soon they will dry up and you can buy em out. Sit tight, hang on to your customers.

:cool:

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

dont even worry about buying them out. quality talks and speaks loudly.

7. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Maclawn, you are right. These businesses will have know value, being only sketchy startups.

8. PRECISION LC

PRECISION LC LawnSite Member

i have been trying to sell one of my w/b's and every person who has called on it has told me they have been laid-off and are looking to start. I'm just happy that i have a great cusotmer base w/ some deceant knowledge. I heard of a person buying a truck, trailer, handhelds, and 2 walkers. planned on 6 contracts and just found out that he lost 3 good paying jobs, he is really bumbed. just hope he does allright this season and get out next year so i can buy his equiptment. mabye hopeing too much.