Laid sod twice died both times

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by themow, Jul 7, 2007.

1. themow

themow LawnSite Member

I have trees lining the perimeter of my back yard. Its 60ft wide. I live on an island and the soil isnt great so i dug up the roots laid lime and topsoil the the sod. Both times. I watered it every day. Both times it lasted 3 or 4 weeks then slowly died. Ive tried seeding aswell. It will produce some very weak thin grass then it will die aswell. Seems like the only thing that will survive out there is weeds. Could it be possible that the tree roots running through the yard are starving the grass of water?

2. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Most grasses need 4 hours of direct sunlight How much sunlight is it getting?

3. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Test the soil and determine the conditions and what if anything you can do to grow grass. Is there enough sunlight to grow grass, are you using the correct type of sod or seed? Spreading a thin layer of topsoil over bad soil is like butter cream icing on a dry out nasty cake, once the roots get through the topsoil, they have no where to grow.

Kirk

4. themow

themow LawnSite Member

I believe the sod was fescue. Some parts recieved no direct sunlight at all becasue the trees are like a canopy. The soil that is in my yard is not that bad. My mother has a very large garden with bushes and flowers and theyre fine. I never tested the soil though.

5. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

it MUST have 4hrs of sun light

6. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

Yeah, I would have to agree with lack of sunlight. The comment about the thinness after planting is a good clue. Sometimes you just can't grow grass some places. I would consider a low light tolerant ground cover.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Thin out the trees. Their canopy is like a giant umbrella, cutting off rain and sunlight. You could try seeding with a shade mixture, but I'd wait until fall.

Bottom line,....close that umbrella!

8. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

fine fecue sod...and water it till it almost floats away.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on the type of trees and how much of their root systems are competing for water with the new sod.Yes, you bet trees can suck (just and expression don't mean literally here guys) water right out of the soil and deprive new grass of it.

10. themow

themow LawnSite Member

so howbout i till the yard and rip up the roots where the grass will be? Would that have any positive effect