Lake Irrigation system question.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by quattro, Jun 8, 2012.

1. quattro

quattro LawnSite Member
    from Detroit

Hello.

A bit of background. I am installing a lake irrigation system. The system consists of a 2hp centrifugal pump with a 2" intake (sure-flo lake filter), and a 1-1/2" discharge. I can add a pressurized water tank, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

I plan to step-down the 1-1/2" discharge to 1" near the pump outlet and run about 100' to the 3-valve manifold (any advantage to running 1-1/2" 100' to the manifold instead?). The pump will be controlled by a Hunter pump-start relay and a RainBird controller.

My question, finally, is can one of the zones be connected to a standard garden hose spigot? I'm guessing just a 1/2" NPT female spigot would do the trick. Any tips on how to mount it inconspicuously? The owner would prefer to use a garden hose to water her many precarious potted flowers.

Forgive me if this is obvious, but i've been searching the net for days with no clear answers. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You need to re-think the entire control system if the owner is to water with a hose.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I've done it by throwing a valve in for the faucet, put it on it's own program with no start time and simply running a manual program when needed. I've also done it by connecting the faucet to a low-flow (drip, etc.) zone and programming as to the client's needs to manually water.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I would never make any assumption a client will be savvy with a controller. Much better to configure the system like a regular water supply, with a pressure tank, and either an ordinary pressure switch, or a more sophisticated control unit.

6. Mike Leary

True, that's why ganging the faucet with another zone will work with the psr.

7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I am in agreement. The HO would be happier to just have the water come one when they open the hose.

If you depend on them to manually start and stop via timer and controller there is a risk of dead heading the pump. While in the short term it is ok but eventually the water heats up creates steam and the piping melts.

Listen to Boots.

8. Mike Leary

With the newer pumping systems, "dead heading" is almost non- existent. But, I agree with the client "not being savvy" comment.

9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

They have a built in by pass then to make them idiot proof. If they can afford that pumping system they can afford a tank too. Does not change the fact what Boots said was the best design for the desired application.

10. Mike Leary

Again, depends on the client, I've had some that knew the clock better than I did!