Lake of Ozarks LCO's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bluemoon, Jan 6, 2003.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Anybody out there from the Lake of Ozarks area. I have given thought to relocating to that area.
    About 4 yrs ago I was in the area and there was lots of new homes being built with soon to be yards that were going to need mowed. I have a friend that has a house down there, and he says houses are still being built like crazy. However he never sees any LCO's???
    Work a few hours and fish many more. Sounds like a plan???
    Convincing the wife will be a different story!!
    Just curious if anybody down there?
  2. LCSR

LCSR LawnSite Member

Hey Blue,

I would say you invest a little time amd money in researching the area. I'm a firm believer that you can do well in this industry if you provide good service at a resonable price.

The lakes are no different than any other part of the company. You will have competition from local companies and you might have to expand your services for the lakes region.

What part of Kansas are you in? Do you currently offer a complete service?

3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Are there more condos than anything around the lake itself? Just curious, because my father in law is always talking about "party cove" so much it makes me want to vomit. Ever heard of that place or is it an inside deal? Never been but seen pics.
  4. Was there last Monday looks like a lot of opportunity for someone, never seen so many condo's around a lake before, lots of building going on and a beautiful area.
  5. bluemoon

bluemoon LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I agree about good service. Was just curious. I live in southcentral ks. , 80 miles straight west of Wichita. Its a small town of about 6500. I mainly mow, some aeration and overseeding. I have a buddy whom has a fertilization and chemical business, usually send chemicals and fertilizing his way.

IB Green,
    I have heard of party cove, when I lived Kansas City, it was in the newspapers all the time. My buddy who lives down there, says it is wilder than one can imagine. Yes to the condos, however there are many new big homes built down there. In fact there are alot of people just go down for weekend. But they live in a $250,000 home with all the trimmings , just for the weekend.
    It was good talking to you all.
    Take Care and have a good winter.
  6. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

I used to spend weekends at Lake of the Ozarks growing up and still have family in the Springfield area.... It has always been a very busy lake and known as a party place...

As with any resort there will be lots of money flowing around which should be good for business, but also increase the cost of living... Be sure to check out property values for your home as well...

A lot of resort areas make for great maintenance areas because the homes are very often used as a second vacation home so you seldom even see anyone except for a few weekends a year... That makes for a nice relaxing property to work on...

It would also be a very beautiful place to live... I would say to for sure check it out closely and "Go For It" if you feel it's right... If not you will always wonder... "What If"....

Good Luck, Clay
  7. mowin at the lake

mowin at the lake LawnSite Member

I've moved down here 6 years ago and their was only 2 lawn companys in the phone book... Now their is about 20. Only about 3-4 are insured.
    Most of the condo's have a property managment company that run them and they manitain the lawn care.
    You will find out if you move down here that help is VERY hard to find help. We do aprox. 150 lawns weekly and went through 12 people last year.

There is aprox 25,000 people that live here year around.
    Come summer time it goes to 2,500,000 vistors.

If you do decide to move and you have a good work ethic you will do ok.

8. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Kane, are you on the east side of the Lake? My Mother-in-Law lives in Laurie, on the west side. Do you cover over there also?

9. mowin at the lake

we cover from camdenton to HH
    I live by Y road

aprox 3 miles from party cove
  10. mowin at the lake

we cover from camdenton to HH
    I live by Y road

aprox 3 miles from party cove