Lake Pump Problems

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by matt spinniken, Jun 24, 2008.

1. matt spinniken

matt spinniken LawnSite Senior Member

A DIY'er installed a 1.5 hp pump to feed three drip zones, each drip zone is approx. 450ft with a 1gph emitter every 12''. The whole system is run with half inch lines except for a 1.5in intake. The intake is about 80 feet with a check valve and no pressure reducer.

Well, the pump will run a zone for about two minutes and then the thermal shutoff will turn the pump off (so the pump is getting hotter than 120 degrees). I tried hooking a garden house to the top of the pump and the thermal shutoff still turned it off after a couple minutes.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?? Anything I should try/check??

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Operating pressures? Height of suction lift?

3. matt spinniken

The suction lift is approx. 3ft. I didnt put a pressure gauge on the pump, I will check that....but for now maybe we could assume around 55psi

4. Wet_Boots

Seems like a hell of a tiny load for a 1-1/2 HP pump. Since the drip needs nowhere near 55 psi, you could try blowing off some extra flow (noting pressure) and seeing how the pump reacts.

All the drip combined is about 1350 gph, and some 1-1/2HP pumps can push 36,000 gph

5. matt spinniken

Thanks so much for helping me out with this. One thing that I forgot to mention is that the system is 3 years old and has not had this problem in the past. Also, there was more algae on the lake this year compared to years past.

6. Wet_Boots

Got strainers clogging up? Algae and drip do not go together.

7. matt spinniken

yes acutally there was some build up, could this cause the pump to shut off, or overheat?

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Definatly want to wire all zones together to come on at once.

9. Valveman

Valveman LawnSite Member

Low flow won't cause the overload to trip. It is either low voltage, or there is something wrong with the motor. Three year old pump, bought at the DIY store, that maybe all you get.

10. Wet_Boots

Voltage aside, how little flow could you have before the pumps begin to heat up?