1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lake pump replace or rebuild?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BD79, Jul 31, 2012.

1. BD79

BD79 LawnSite Member
    from Mi

I was called out to start system for a new client. After searching for the breaker that controls the pump, I found that the whole house was rewired and the breaker was left out.

Replaced breaker but pump does not work. I checked for voltage and have 120 on both terminals. Is anything else I should check or is the motor just burned and should be replaced? Is it worth having it rebuilt? BTW it's a 2 1/2 hp Dayton.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

120 volts won't likely do a 2-1/2 HP pump any good ~ you expect them to require 240 volts
  3. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe he got 120 on each leg of the 240 line to ground.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

he's got 240 vac, boots is fooling with him.

if nothing smells burnt and the windings aren't shorted to ground look at what controls the pump. look at the control box, pressure switch or external starting capacitor.
  5. BD79

BD79 LawnSite Member
    from Mi

Yeah 120 both sides. The pump runs off a relay which is working fine. How would I test to see is the windings are shorted?
  6. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

What's happening when you power it...does the capacitor hum?
  7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

measure resistance between windings and housing
  8. BD79

BD79 LawnSite Member
    from Mi

No hum when powered. Homeowner just purchased the home but swears he saw it run. The filter is in a small stream that was dangerously low last time I was there. It's possible that he burnt the pump running it dry.