Lake Water Irrigation

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by WILLIE D, Jan 7, 2008.

1. WILLIE D

WILLIE D LawnSite Member

I am talking to an irrigation contractor about have an irrigation system installed at my house on a lake. The lot is approx 100'wide & 775' deep with 33 ft of elevation change,. The pump will be approx 180' from the yard on a dock with approx 10' of lift. I have not seen the exact layout of the proposed system yet but there will be 11 zones of rotors & approx 6 zones of spray heads. This system is in the Dallas Fort Worth Texas area.

The contractor is proposing using Rainbird 5004 rotors and 1 1/2" PEB valves.
    he is also proposing a centrifugal sand separator. I am not sure what spray heads he is proposing

Of course cost is a concern, but more importantly I want as maintenance free of a system as possible.

Are there other products that would be better for this application.
    Thank you

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You will become familiar with the strainer/separator, as there aren't many/any maintenance-free methods of cleaning up the pumped water.

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Are you on city water or a well? If its a well , scrap the lake water idea . It is never maitanance free. Come august when alge gets booming it will become a pita.

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

If you insist on doing it I would mount an electric valve to the bottom of the strainer and hook it up to the clock to run for 1 minute after each cycle to flush the strainer.

5. WILLIE D

WILLIE D LawnSite Member

I will be pumping water out of the lake

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I understand that , my question is , is the house on a well or city water. If it is on a well I would scrap the whole lake idea.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Summertime lake water can be an algae festival, and strainers don't deal with it very well. Ancient systems using impact heads could blow the cruddy water through, much better than modern gear-drive heads do today.

8. WILLIE D

WILLIE D LawnSite Member

The house is on city water. I will have to pump out of the lake. the cost to water the yard with city water would be prohibitive.

9. WILLIE D

WILLIE D LawnSite Member

This was my original plan. my contractor is trying to convince me that the more modern roors are the way to go.

Thanks

10. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

Right now the are dredging the lake right now, stick with city water. also the irrigator you chose , make sure you check for a lic and ins. ask for a asbuilt plan and get everything in writing. ask for gallons per zone and make sure they check the pump for the right gallon per min and if not have them call the pump company. ask them how long your warranty is. and dont pay the final payment untill you do a walk through with the lic irrigator not the help. go through the system and make sure everything is running to Your Satisfaction.ask alot of question. there are alot of unlicensed guys out there so be careful. ask for a copy of the permit and ask for a copy of the inspection.