Laminating signs

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LwnmwrMan22, May 5, 2005.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

For those of you that use signs from Lesco, or other paper / cardboard signs that you either have printed, or print yourself.....

Have you ever tried laminating your signs so they last longer? Possibly reusing them?

If so, did it work? Or was it too much work to laminate say, 400 signs that it's easier to just dump the $70 or whatever it is for a box of signs each time you need them?

I do the mowing at all the accounts that I have to post usually 2-3 days after I spray, and usually the signs are still there.

I'm just wondering if I could get a laminating machine and make the original signs last longer? If anyone's tried it.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Why go through all that? They only have to last 24 hours (48 for schools). For all that, just look into getting some made for your next batch. They can make then out of that other material that is like a waterproof stock that doesn't wilt.

3. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

i understand that since you mow the lawns you treat that it might be nice to retreave the sign a couple of days latter and reuse them.

blackburn has a quality plastic coated corigatted sign that will last a very long time. You could reuse them again and again.

Dont know what the cost to laminate would be but it sure does sound time consuming?

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah, that's what I was wondering, if the cost of doing it myself is cheaper than ordering.

I can print off 400 signs in about 30 minutes, basically while looking at posts on here.

What I don't know, is if it would be worth the time and some expense to then laminate them so I could reuse them.

Basically looking for a solution to a problem I don't really have I guess.

5. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

I make all my own signage for the nursery (name and care signs for the individual plants, pot name tags, and price tags). I laminate the name/description/care signs with UV resistant film and use a laser printer (laser ink won't fade). Yes, it takes time, but the look is just what I want - not mass-produced by some company that has no idea how the plants behave in Zone 3. Customers tell me that it's the best (most informational) signage they've ever seen and it's made from selections of the same info on my 33 page plant list - all thanks to FilemakerPro (database application). If you decide to get a laminator, go for the 4 head if you'll be doing more than a half hour or so at a time. Otherwise a non-commercial model should suit just fine. The company I use for both laminators and films is called USI in Madison, Connecticut.