Lancaping Ideas

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jhawk71, Dec 24, 2004.

1. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

I am asking for your help on a landscape design. This will be done at my house. The drawing I have attached is a drawing of a portion of my backyard. The bed I want to redo is the one dimensioned next to the pool. Currently it has 4 Bradford trees, and some evergreen shrubs. There is ivy covering the hole bed. The trees have been damaged by a recent snow storm and would like to replace. I will be doing this in the spring and would like to get a head start on the design. Since screening is needed for the pool I was thinking an evergreen of some sort. Maybe Emerald Green Arborvitae, and then I had in mind a shrub in front, oak leaf hydrangeas would tie in with the existing landscaping because we have some in the front yard. So I would want some shrubs that would look nice with the Oak Leafs. I have installed plant material before but never the design. Budget for materials will be around $5,000.
    Sorry for the crummy drawing, I would've done it on Auto-cad but didn't have the time. I forgot to mention that there is a fence along the backside of the bed(70' side) and the 15' side.

Thank you in advance
    Jhawk71

Attached Files:

2. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Which way is N?
    How much sun/shade once you remove the Bradfords.
    I cut down/pruned up 62 pears after that storm last month...what a mess!

3. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

If you are facing the 70' fence you are facing south. After the Bradford's are removed it will be in partial sun.
    Jhawk71

4. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

What about junipers: they seem more tolerant to our weird weather better than the arborvaite. Azaleas would work on that side too, or hydrangeas. Is the fence open or solid. Ill save your image and see if I can draw on it and send it back

5. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

I like the idea of junipers, also the fence is a 6' tall solid cedar fence. I will try and take a picture of the area later so you can get a better idea.
    Thanks
    Jhawk71

6. lewdo

lewdo LawnSite Member

Arborvitae's are very popular out here too. Something to keep in mind though, just as they get close to maturity a nice heavy wet snow comes and splits them in two. As long as you remember that during a bad storm, you go out and knock all that snow it should be all right. Just hope you never get freezing rain...not much you can do then. Dwarf Alberta Spruces would be nice alternative, however they grow much slower.

7. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

Bump...........

8. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

You could try to use little gem magnolias as your screen. They get about 25-30 feet tall. If I am reading everything correctly once you plant the screen the area will be shady. If so then I would put some hydrangeas, azaleas, rhododendrons, camellias, hostas, ferns, loropetalums, crimson queen japanese maple, viburnum, mahonia, leucothe, these are all great shade plants for zone 7. Hope this helps.

9. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

What is the auto card you mentioned

10. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

Auto Cad it's a technical drawing program often used by drafters for blueprints and such. It would've given people a more scale drawing, thats all. Not really necessary.
    Jhawk71