Land clearing (brush cutting, mulching) #2

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by CAT MAN, Jun 4, 2008.

1. CAT MAN

CAT MAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

ok I read this post with you guys haveing cutting heads on mini ex's and skidsteers and was wondering if that is what you specialize in or do you do other work?? Im in PA and there is alot of brush and I was thinking I could tell the State that I will clear the sides of the roads to get started. Please give imput

2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

the states do road cutting themselves in most townships...that is not usually subcontracted work...i don't know where in PA you are but the guys around here that stay relatively busy are the guys with tractors and batwing mowers....if we ever have a job that has a lot of brush we either knock it down with a backhoe, loader, or dozer or we have a tractor with a brush mower and thats what most excavating contractors do too

as far as doing work for landowners you will need a batwing...the only real work i could see in just specializing in brush cutting would be to get hooked up with a few tree companies

3. CAT MAN

from PA

well I could see my cuz has a construction/forestry company, but I am into the big machines and was just wondering with the brush cutting! but would you suggest getting a excavation company or working for someone???

4. xtoyz

xtoyz LawnSite Member

Neighbor who has a business in the Poconos ( he has two homes, don't ask.) owns a land clearing and forestry business. Mainly does work clearing areas for residential tracks that are going to be built.

5. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

I do about 60% to 70% of my work is brush cutting and the rest is other stuff.I sub for some other contractors,and work for lots of homeowners and landowners.Alot of my work just 2hr job of less, but I get no less that 2 hrs pay,the key to doing small job is to group them in a day to get a full days pay,I have made a must as two days pay in one day of small jobs.

Minimax

6. CAT MAN

from PA

cool like I said I was just wondering were you get the work and if thats all yea do thanks all

7. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I have noticed south carolina has started to thin out the stands of trees on the interstates and have even seen them contract out the brush cutting like you were talkn about....

i would surely ask them the worst they can say is no so what would it hurt to ask and if they plan on doing it in the future and you talk to them now and you might be able to get your foot in the door and be first on the list when they decide to start