Land clearing

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by 1MajorTom, Dec 21, 2006.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

This is for hands on experienced skid steer operators:

Have about 60 stumps ranging between 4 to 8 inches in diameter. Stumps were cut last winter if that means anything. They were cut high leaving about 5 ft of the stump.
    Will a skidsteer be able to push these over, or will it will require digging around the stump first? Trees I believe were locust and sassafras.
    Will rent a skidsteer if this will get the job done.

2. bobcat9957

bobcat9957 LawnSite Member

I would go with a mini ex. You can probably get it done with a skid but an excavator will be more effective. Around here they are only about $40 a day more to rent than the skid.
  3. Mjh Excavating

Mjh Excavating LawnSite Member

Rent the excavator, you would be surprised how tough an 8 inch stump is.
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

See i had a lot of low laying vines and brush that I was hoping to back drag with the bobcat. I appreciate the responses, thanks.
  5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

there was a thread about burning stumps on here is that an option
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A mini with a thumb is a better choice you will be able to pull them out if they are tough then you can dig around them. Also with a mini you can pick them up shake the dirt out of the root ball then pile them up or load them into a dump truck. If the skid steer had a 4 in 1 bucket it would make ripping them out easier with a skid steer.

The other option is get a block and tackle find the heaviest stump in the group and start winching the other stumps out. I have done that using a set of pulleys with 3/8s cable works good I used a 1 ton dually flatdeck with 1000lbs over the wheels for traction.
  7. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Some trees push over easier than others, but skids aren't the best machine for the job. I would rent a backhoe if I were you. That way you could dig them out and use the front loader to move any of the brush or stumps around. Make sure you get a 4WD if the conditions are muddy. If you are set on a skid, get the biggest one you can and I'd use a tooth bucket to dig around the base of the tree, and to break up the roots.
  8. bugthug

bugthug LawnSite Member
    from PA

What are you near in PA? I have a skid steer that is just sitting I will rent real cheap if you are close. I also Have a friend That is in the tree removal business.
  9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I forgot all about using a rubber tired hoe that would work good too even better than a excavator because you have so many small stumps to remove a 4 in 1 would be nice to have on it too.
  10. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

MajorTom....I've done it by hand, with a skid, with an excavator and with a dozer. Method of choice for me would be the biggest mini-excavator with a front blade that you can haul or get delievered. Make it easy and safe for yourself.....I would prefer an excavator with a thumb, but even without one, an excavator is a better way to go...