1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Land Pride mowers, What can you tell me about Land Pride Mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Parched1, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Parched1

Parched1 LawnSite Member

I am interested in finding out more about land Pride Mowers. How do they compare to some of the popular brands such as EXMARK, JD, Dixie Choppers and Ferris. I am primarily interested in the quality of the cut and the durability of the decks on their ZTR. Any information is appreciated.

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

They may be a great mower, I really only seen them in magazines. My personal opinion is that I always buy one of the better known brands. Why. Well the larger company's have a larger R&D department, do more extensive testing, are tried and proven by many more LCO's, have better resale value, and companys such as Exmark that roll out so many ZTR's a year I feel have a higher quality control thru the assembly process. And you better believe such company's as John Deere have so much capital to invest and research in new products such as ZTR's that they will come up with top notch products. They can afford the best designers, engineers, and afford to do the most intense in field trials. It's hard to compete with the larger well established makers of ZTR's in my opinion. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone else think it's a little strange that Land Pride decided to make the tubular frame of their Accu-Z the hydraulic reservoir? They claim it saves weight and space, plus cools the fluid faster. You can cool the fluid with a standard setup easily by adding a cooler and I can't imagine the weight or space savings would be significant, sounds like a huge gimmick that really doesn't offer any performance value.
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You guys are funny...

They are just Hustlers... some of them exactly the same, and some of them alternate versions.
  5. tacoma200

Well, I learned something. Given that info I would still go with Hustler. Better name recognition resale value.
  6. tshank

tshank LawnSite Member

Hustler guy says '05 was the last year they made them.
  7. tacoma200

Sound's like a Woods. Never sure who made them and when. Or where to get parts, service. Hate to try to sell a used one. Bet you don't see a lot of searches for land pride ZTR's on Ebay.

Another reason to stay with a better known brand.
  8. craglawnmanor

craglawnmanor LawnSite Member

Gravely was making the Woods mid mount zero turn mowers a couple years back. I don't know if they still have that relationship or not.

There are a few mower "sellers" that are basically selling a rebadged, repainted version of a particular manufacturer's design. Another example, Lesco mowers have actually been repainted Cub Cadet Commercial mowers in recent years. :dizzy:
  9. tacoma200

I think grasshopper made the woods a few years also. Now I see Cub Cadet and Lesco as reputable, in it for the long haul company's. I don't think I would put them in a class with the ever changing woods mowers or Land Pride. That being said, didn't John Deere buy Lesco? Wonder how this will change things? Or maybe I'm wrong about that.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Nah... go look at them.

All but the very recent ones are just Hustler's painted the duller LandPride yellow.
    The newer ones are too, but have other alterations to them.

I don't mind it when this rebadging is done if they are exactly the same machine basically. This is really good for those people who (for example) don't have a Hustler dealer in their area, but every tractor dealership is a LandPride dealer.

These people can buy them, use them, get parts for them, and in the event LandPride stops them, they can still turn to any hustler dealer for parts.

I do not agree with the alternate versions though, as you can get orphaned when someone like LandPride decides to switch suppliers.

For example, Woods has been guilty of this in the past. So I would not buy any of their alternate versions. But I would buy their MZ series midmount because it is nothing but a BobCat/Bunton... which you can get parts for anywhere if Woods decides to switch suppliers.