land pride.

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by lawn king, Dec 22, 2004.

1. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Land pride implements do not get a coat of primer before they are painted. Doe's anyone know why?

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Where did you hear this? The reason I ask is because it may not be true.

3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We have several implements by landpride, there is no primer and the paint is very low quality!

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Can't say I know for a fact but I do believe you. I have an encore mower that I just painted. It didn't have any factory primer on it either. Very cheap paint job on it. Its about low cost. They didn't want to waste money on good paint and doing the job right. They sell quantity not just quality.

5. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Painting an implement is different than a car. Most paints designed for implements, ie.. mower decks, plows ect use a different paint. Its an industrial type paint that is supposed to be self adhearing and/or self etching so no primer is needed, there by cutting costs in both labor and materials. Does it always work?.. no. It all depends on the paint, the painter and the preparation of the surface being painted and the enviromental conditions durings those processes.

6. earthwerks unlimited

earthwerks unlimited LawnSite Member

Not using primer is common. Some paint manfacturers offer what is called DTM or Direct To Metal. This is typically used for commercial building trim, etc.

As far as all automotive applications having primer; my Ford F-600 dump truck cab has no primer--every little stone chip results in a big, thin, flake of paint coming off exposing new-looking metal---no wonder the last cab rusted out.

Powder coat is another pain in the butt to maintain. If the metal is not acid washed and cleaned and neutralized before it is coated, it is no better than having bare metal.

My $40,000 skid steer has paint peeling everywhere there is a sheet metal edge--find an edge, and you can be sure the paint is coming off in one continuous strip.

Bottom line is, to use an automotive term from the early 1980's (guess I'm showing my age now) it is called "planned obsoletion", meaning the manufacturers are betting that the life of the item will be short so you will throw it way and buy a new one, and that keeps them in business. That's why car makers got a well-deserved bad rap about cars rusting-out so quickly. The car buyers revolted in the '80's when car makers let that cat out of the bag and started buying foreign.

Maybe if we as the buying public let these mfg's know how we feel, things will change. The other side of the coin is, the way tax depreciation laws are now it doesn't make sense to hang into new equipment long.